Seeking guidance for majors/developing experience in translation
Thread poster: tlocurto
tlocurto
United States
Local time: 01:31
French to English
May 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in translation for quite a long time, since I was a young teenager (I'm 25 now), having always loved languages and having achieved a decent level in Spanish/French/Portuguese/Italian and would like to eventually translate from them into English. Life has been a bit bumpy so I am just now arriving to the point where I need to choose my major. I wanted advice from those translators among you who have made that decision, and who may have some experience with the results of that choice, as to what you majored in for your Bachelor's degree, and what are some of the pros and cons (as a translator) that you've found with having chosen that degree.

I'd also like advice from some of you as to how I can begin to accumulate experience at this point. Should I attempt to find a mentor? If you want to translate from multiple languages into your native language, should you try and make one of them your "main" pair, or try and develop them all simultaneously?

I really appreciate any advice that any of you might have - I have wanted to do this for years and to be honest it's a bit scary to take the first steps, so I am grateful for anyone who might be able to help me by sort of holding my hand

Thank you very much for reading!

Thomas LoCurto (Tommy)

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking guidance for majors/developing experience in translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search