What info do you enter in your CV about your completed translations?
Thread poster: Sanja Gjurova
Sanja Gjurova
Sanja Gjurova
Australia
Local time: 08:15
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2012

Hi,

I started freelancing a few months ago, and I am not sure what kind of information to add in my CV about the translations I've completed. Except for subject matter, and language combination, should I enter word count and the name of the agency/company for which I've provided the translations?

Thanks in advance.

Sanja

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
None, originally Jun 7, 2012

After several years, a friend suggested I should include a list of some of my more imposing-sounding translations, so I did. I now also provide a list of some random published works I have either translated or revised (or "proofed").

PS: I hasten to add, please don't take me as an example...

[Edited at 2012-06-07 09:27 GMT]

Mugdha Ghate
Mugdha Ghate
India
Local time: 03:45
Member (2012)
English to Marathi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Take a clue Jun 7, 2012

Hi,

I too started freelancing some years ago. What I did was check out the profiles and CVs of other freelance translators on Proz and take a clue from them.
It sure did help me, May be you can take a hint from them too...

Regards
Srujaa

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:15
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
CV/resume Content Jun 7, 2012

Dear Sanja,

I would add a number approximating the total amount of translations that you have completed. Remember, what you put down on your CV/resume should be measurable (and specific). For example, "translated 50,000 words of documents from English into Turkish" or something to that effect. I would not include the names of the agencies unless one (or more) of them is a very prestigious company, and its inclusion really means something. If you need examples, Internet is full o
... See more
Dear Sanja,

I would add a number approximating the total amount of translations that you have completed. Remember, what you put down on your CV/resume should be measurable (and specific). For example, "translated 50,000 words of documents from English into Turkish" or something to that effect. I would not include the names of the agencies unless one (or more) of them is a very prestigious company, and its inclusion really means something. If you need examples, Internet is full of (literally millions) CV/resume examples. All you need to do is to make an effective search.
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:15
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Ask before using names Jun 7, 2012

I agree with Atin. Language pair, rough word count and subject should be enough. And one you've gotten more projects, you might want to stop listing them individually and just mention a few more important ones and give a general word count per subject, for example. Also, before naming any agencies/clients it would be wise to ask permission - some agencies don't like their name being mentioned, or even prohibit it in their NDA.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Doubtful information Jun 7, 2012

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:
I would add a number approximating the total amount of translations that you have completed. Remember, what you put down on your CV/resume should be measurable (and specific). For example, "translated 50,000 words of documents from English into Turkish" or something to that effect. I would not include the names of the agencies unless one (or more) of them is a very prestigious company, and its inclusion really means something.

Sounds like good advice to me. I think I'd advise withholding numbers of words if they are really low as that just rubs in the fact that you are inexperienced.

If you need examples, Internet is full of (literally millions) CV/resume examples. All you need to do is to make an effective search.

I suspect that 99.99% of the information on the web would be worse than useless. They are for people looking for salaried jobs. Their CVs are not at all the same as ours and following the advice would make for very poor CVs.

There's an article here on writing a freelance translator's CV: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_an_effective_CV_/_resume
There are lots of other translation Wikis on marketing and other aspects of translation.

Sheila

Juan Pablo Sans
Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would use numbers Jun 7, 2012

I would use numbers and maybe your most prestigious clients. Publishing names can be a very serious thing.

Sanja Gjurova
Sanja Gjurova
Australia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Leaving out names... Jun 7, 2012

Thank you all for your suggestions, they've been most helpful.

However, there is one thing I don't quite understand.

If you leave out the names of the agency/client you've worked for, what proof do you have of the provided translation? I know that mentioning names would mean acting against existing NDA's, but if you don't, wouldn't the CV seem as a random list of translations?

Regards,

Sanja

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A CV is not a contractual document Jun 7, 2012

Sanja Gjurova wrote:
If you leave out the names of the agency/client you've worked for, what proof do you have of the provided translation?

You can't necessarily prove what you put on your CV, there has to be an element of trust between you and a potential client. The reader can always ask for more information on a one-to-one basis, after all.

It's the same in many professions - client confidentiality is way, way more important than proving anything to potential clients.

Sheila

Melissa Dedina
Melissa Dedina  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Czech to English
+ ...
why proof? Jun 7, 2012

I agree with Sheila's element of trust. The translations listed in your CV are really more of a guide or example of the types of things you have experience with. Ultimately, our clients don't care what we have translated specifically (word counts and company names), when, for whom, and what we were wearing at the time. They care that we can do their job right.

As for what information to put in, you could choose to put types of
... See more
I agree with Sheila's element of trust. The translations listed in your CV are really more of a guide or example of the types of things you have experience with. Ultimately, our clients don't care what we have translated specifically (word counts and company names), when, for whom, and what we were wearing at the time. They care that we can do their job right.

As for what information to put in, you could choose to put types of documents (press releases, tourist brochures) instead of describing specific translations (press release from international company, 500 words), though you may be waiting until you have more projects under your belt before you do that.
Collapse

christela (X)
christela (X)
You'll never have proof Jun 8, 2012

Sanja Gjurova wrote:
If you leave out the names of the agency/client you've worked for, what proof do you have of the provided translation? I know that mentioning names would mean acting against existing NDA's, but if you don't, wouldn't the CV seem as a random list of translations?

Unless you translated a book and your name is printed on the cover, you'll never have proof. There's nothing to do about that. You don't want someone call your best direct client and ask him if you really translated his software/medical equipment/coffee machine and - accidentally - take them over, do you? Or that you work for his big competitor?
The only thing you can do is insisting on your knowledge. Clients know very well that all the points in your cv can 'slightly overestimated' or even lies, so they'll test your knowledge, either with a test, either with a small translation.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
Member (2009)
French to English
Provide later if needed Jun 8, 2012

Sanja Gjurova wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions, they've been most helpful.

However, there is one thing I don't quite understand.

Regards,

Sanja

A CV is really an introduction. If a client wants more information on something listed in it they can simply ask. That is when it would be appropriate to provide specific names, and even contact information, for clients you worked with on various projects.

Sanja Gjurova
Sanja Gjurova
Australia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for answering my question.. Jun 9, 2012

Hi,

I'm happy to have so many posts for my question, and after reading all your opinions, I understand your points about the fact that the CV, is in fact, just an introduction, and that the potential client can ask for additional information later on.
You have really clarified some issues for me.

Thank you all very much.

All the best.

Sanja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What info do you enter in your CV about your completed translations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »