Literary Translation / Movie Translations (Dubbing) - How Do I Get Started?
Thread poster: Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:32
English to German
Jul 9, 2004

Hi there, colleagues,

Who can help me with these two topics?

1. Literary Translations
I'm based in Germany. Translating from English into German. How do I get established in this area? Who do I contact first - the foreign publisher? The author? Is there a certain procedure I should follow?

2. Translating Movies (Dubbing)
How do I get established in this area? Are there any specialized translation courses in this field? Internships? Where are the
... See more
Hi there, colleagues,

1. Literary Translations
I'm based in Germany. Translating from English into German. How do I get established in this area? Who do I contact first - the foreign publisher? The author? Is there a certain procedure I should follow?

How do I get established in this area? Are there any specialized translation courses in this field? Internships? Where are the jobs? Who do I contact?

Basically, my problem is that I don't know where to get started. If there's "anyone out there" who knows anything about these two areas or has worked/is working in this field, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks a lot!

Annika

[Edited at 2004-07-09 16:45]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Answer to number 2. Jul 9, 2004

Hi there.
I suppose there are courses in Germany... you'll have to find out.
Where to go? You have go to specialized studios in dubbing, that's all... well... and... have the know who... er, I mean, the know how.
Luck to you.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
possible sources Jul 10, 2004

Annika Neudecker wrote:

Hi there, colleagues,

1. Literary Translations

How do I get established in this area? Are there any specialized translation courses in this field? Internships? Where are the jobs? Who do I contact?

Basically, my problem is that I don't know where to get started. If there's "anyone out there" who knows anything about these two areas or has worked/is working in this field, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks a lot!

Annika

[Edited at 2004-07-09 16:45]
Hi! you can check at various Universities, German and French as well. Or check Europages, you will find a few thousand companies across Europe, or check with local film industry.
Good Luck
brandis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
One suggestion Jul 10, 2004

Join an association of translators and take part in meatings of the section for literary translation. Contacts is what you need.
I translated two books so far, but was approached by the authors directly.

Annika Neudecker
Annika Neudecker  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 11, 2004

Thanks, everyone, for helping me out. I appreciate your advice!!!

mamabee (X)
mamabee (X)
English to German
+ ...
Literary Translations Oct 2, 2004

AnnikaLight wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for helping me out. I appreciate your advice!!!

I'm also interested in Literary Translations and ask myself how to get started. Please let me know if you found out anything

Thank you very much

Kirstin

Radoslaw Botev (X)
Radoslaw Botev (X)
German to Polish
+ ...
How to get started Oct 20, 2004

I am a literary translator. I can advise you to contact a publisher in your country as it is them you'll be doing the job for. You should get a sample text from them (usually one chapter of a book) and on that foundation they will check how well you translate. If you accepted, you should get a book to translate from them.

Generally, it is up to the publisher which book they give you to translate but you can specify a genre of the book (for example romance, criminal etc.).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary Translation / Movie Translations (Dubbing) - How Do I Get Started?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »