Maria San Martin
Maria San Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 29, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

a friend of mine who is a lawyer in Texas would like to become a sworn translator. Which entity prepares/does the sworn translator examination in the United States?Does the ATA organise public/official examinations for sworn translators?

As she lives in Texas, i would like to ask you if there is a translators association in that State that could guide her better

Well, that´s my question, i wish you a nice summer evening!

bes
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

a friend of mine who is a lawyer in Texas would like to become a sworn translator. Which entity prepares/does the sworn translator examination in the United States?Does the ATA organise public/official examinations for sworn translators?

As she lives in Texas, i would like to ask you if there is a translators association in that State that could guide her better

Well, that´s my question, i wish you a nice summer evening!

best regards,

Maria
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
Look on the web Jul 29, 2004

If your friend looks on the web, there are many translators organizations in Texas, depending on what area of the state.

One site to try is: http://www.notisnet.org/links/orgs.html#TX

In North America the term is 'certified translator'.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
German to English
+ ...
ATA Jul 29, 2004

Maria, check out the ATA at www.atanet.org. There's lots of information, incl. information on Chapters in various states.

Trudy

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No such animal, but... Jul 29, 2004

There is no such thing as a "sworn translator" in the U.S.

There are, however two other options in Texas.

1.- U.S. Federal Court Certified Interpreter.
2.- Licensed Court Interpreter, Texas.

Note that these are both "intepreter" credentials and not specifically for translation. However, from my own experience as a translator with Federal Court Certification, I can attest that it is a very good one to have when translating documents to be used in court
... See more
There is no such thing as a "sworn translator" in the U.S.

There are, however two other options in Texas.

1.- U.S. Federal Court Certified Interpreter.
2.- Licensed Court Interpreter, Texas.

Note that these are both "intepreter" credentials and not specifically for translation. However, from my own experience as a translator with Federal Court Certification, I can attest that it is a very good one to have when translating documents to be used in courts at any level, I have always been accorded credibility. The actual job description also includes translation among the duties to be performed. In addition, it has a reputation as being the most difficult test technically of any that are given. After paying the examination fees, there is nothing else to be paid and it is good for a lifetime.

Texas certification is really only useful for actually interpreting in the courts. Plus you get hit up for fees every year. I think if you have Federal Certification you do not have to take the exam or pay the exam fees, but you still get hit for the license fee every year.

There is also State Department Certification and I know less about it, but it is also for interpreting.

Google for the proper sites and I'm sure you'll find more information.
Collapse

kristinka
kristinka
German to Romanian
Translating in Canad Jul 30, 2004

Hi,
does anyone of you know what you have to do to become a translator in Canada. Are there any websites where i can get some informations. The languages that i speek are : englisch, german, hungarian and romanian, and i`m interested, because in a couple of years i want to emigrate to Canada. Do i need to see some courses, or something else?

Thanks.
Kris

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Moving this thread to the Getting Established forum Jul 30, 2004

kristinka wrote:

Hi,
does anyone of you know what you have to do to become a translator in Canada. Are there any websites where i can get some informations. The languages that i speek are : englisch, german, hungarian and romanian, and i`m interested, because in a couple of years i want to emigrate to Canada. Do i need to see some courses, or something else?

Thanks.
Kris

These issues have not much to do with the Translators' Associations and their activities.
I'm moving this thread from the Translators Associations forum to Getting Established.

Also, please, when posting about a new topic, open a new discussion, instead of picking up an existing and unrelated issue.

Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re.: advice on becoming a sworn translator in the US

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »