Upcoming interview with UN - suggestions needed
Thread poster: JoFP
JoFP
JoFP
Local time: 13:42
French to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2012

I'm already pretty much established, but I didn't know where else to post my question. As it turns out, I have something called a competency-based interview coming up for a translating/editing position at the UN. I'm wondering if anybody has had one of these interviews and can shed any light on what they might involve. I've looked around on the Interwebz, of course, and you can find general explanations of competency-based interviews there, but I really have no idea how they might work for trans... See more
I'm already pretty much established, but I didn't know where else to post my question. As it turns out, I have something called a competency-based interview coming up for a translating/editing position at the UN. I'm wondering if anybody has had one of these interviews and can shed any light on what they might involve. I've looked around on the Interwebz, of course, and you can find general explanations of competency-based interviews there, but I really have no idea how they might work for translating positions. I'd be grateful for any input from anybody who has been through such an interview, and other people probably would be, too.Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:42
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Competencies in Translation Nov 25, 2012

I suggest that you perform a web search using the terms
translation competence
and that search should hopefully give you an idea of the competencies involved in translation. This is somewhat important. You should have at least some awareness of the competencies involved in translation before you go to the interview. One competency example is reading comprehension. It is stated that "incorrect comprehension of a text considerably decreases the quality of the translation". That te
... See more
I suggest that you perform a web search using the terms
translation competence
and that search should hopefully give you an idea of the competencies involved in translation. This is somewhat important. You should have at least some awareness of the competencies involved in translation before you go to the interview. One competency example is reading comprehension. It is stated that "incorrect comprehension of a text considerably decreases the quality of the translation". That tells me that you will come across at least one reading comprehension question in the languages that you work, perhaps more than one.

Profile of the Translation Student

Sound linguistic training in the two languages

Knowledge covering a wide cultural spectrum

High reading comprehension competence and permanent interest in reading

Adequate use of translation procedures and strategies

Adequate management of documentation sources

Improvement capacity and constant interest in learning

Initiative, creativity, honesty and perseverance

Accuracy, truthfulness, patience and dedication

Capacity for analysis and self-criticism

Ability to maintain constructive interpersonal relationships

Capacity to develop team work

Efficient data processing training at user's level (an introductory course is NOT enough)

Acquaintance with translation software for MT and MT edition

Hope this helps. Best of luck in the interview!
Collapse

JoFP
JoFP
Local time: 13:42
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the response Nov 27, 2012

Thank you, Atil. In any event, once I've been through the interview, I'll try to remember to give an account of it here, as it might be useful to others, too.

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Here's a bit more info Nov 27, 2012

Try these:
  • http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&site=webhp&q=site:unlanguage.org%20"competency%20based%20interview"
  • http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&site=webhp&q="competency%20based%20interview"%20"united%20nations"

However, there seems to be a lot of repetition.

• To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upcoming interview with UN - suggestions needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »