Questions on taking the first job
Thread poster: Salithealbo
Dec 31, 2012

I don't feel very smart because of the questions I am about to ask, but I feel I'm never going to know if I don't ask.

1. If I have a book to translate, after completing it, do I just send the translated pages saved all in one document (example: Word) back to the client like that or is there a different way of doing it?

2. How do you invoice? I know about the agreement and terms of service but I don't know what an invoice looks like. Can somebody possibly upload a picture of an invoice?

I love this site.

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Questions Dec 31, 2012

1. In general, at the outset this has to be agreed with the client: chapter by chapter or the entire translation.
2. Proz.com has an invoicing system (https://www.proz.com/invoice/try)

Happy New Year!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:19
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Some of the stupidest questions are those you don't ask... Dec 31, 2012

So welcome, and ask away! Others will probably benefit too.

Although I have never used this feature myself, you should be able to get help with invoicing here

https://www.proz.com/invoice/try

(Under the Tools menu at the top of the Proz.com home page.)

If/when I have a book to translate, I divide it up for delivery, usually into chapters, as they are easier to handle. They also allow for part deliveries, so I can send a chapter for proofreading while I am working on the next. It is a matter of taste, however. You can always ask the client what they would prefer.

You can perhaps choose whatever format is easiest for you, and possibly divide the file or change the format afterwards (Font or whatever is required.)

If the chapters are very short, you may want to group them - having large numbers of very small files can also be difficult to handle.

Best of luck!

Salithealbo
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Jan 1, 2013

That information is good enough for me right now. Thank you very much.

Happy new year everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions on taking the first job

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search