Thread poster: Ildiko Santana

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Mar 9, 2013

I believe Kevin Hendzel's latest is a must-read for all translators; it is pure GOLD:

Three Lessons: Humility, Collaboration, Perseverance.
All three – in that order – hold the key to becoming a world-class translator.

Word Prisms
blog | March 8, 2013

missdutch  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:03
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Great read! Mar 9, 2013

Köszönöm szépen, Ildiko!

What an interesting, illuminating and heartwarming article.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:03
Russian to English
+ ...
I would personally say:knowledge, practice, aiming for perfection and perserverence Mar 9, 2013

I am not sure what humility and collaboration have to do with all of that. Definitely not humility expressed though charging $0.02/word, or listening to all the whims a company might have. Collaboration? If the company knows a lot about translation -- why not, not if they require things that they have no idea about -- like "please translate every word", "send us your TM" (what if you don't need a TM to translate).

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Must-read. Mar 9, 2013

Kevin's article was shared on Twitter this morning. I quite agree, Ildiko, it's a great insight into what you should be aiming for as a translator.

It doesn't matter whether you're a beginner or have been in the business for years; make sure you read it!

Cristina intern  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
Essential Role of Collaboration Mar 9, 2013

Ildiko Santana wrote:

I believe Kevin Hendzel's latest is a must-read for all translators; it is pure GOLD:

Three Lessons: Humility, Collaboration, Perseverance.
All three – in that order – hold the key to becoming a world-class translator.

Word Prisms
blog | March 8, 2013

Always mind the Essential Role of Collaboration...

translate-24h
German to English
+ ...
Nice article Mar 10, 2013

Thanks for pointing this beautiful article out to us. The most solid translations really do come from experienced translators with profound technical subject-matter training. However, in our opinion, there are many translators who reach the point of writing elegantly and accurately in less than 10 years of professional translating - with ambition and dedication.

Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice article probably Mar 18, 2013

but as an artisan (in a rather degrading sense) in translation of 40 yers' standing I lost interest after reading half a page or so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Three Lessons: Humility, Collaboration, Perseverance. | Kevin Hendzel

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search