(in the UK) what do language service providers want from regional development agencies
Thread poster: pablo1

pablo1
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2004

I’m looking for some input from Language Service Providers regarding what support the Regional Development Authority via the Regional Language Networks (RLNs) could provide to help overcome language and cultural issues in the Regions.

The RLNs have a strategic action programme for Education, Export, Inward Investment and Social Inclusion but nothing specifically for the LSP itself. The plan is to somehow integrate it into the others.

I’d appreciate any comments from anyone regardless of the type of Language Service Provision, and am looking at ways that money or resources could be used at a regional level to ensure that businesses with a need for LSPs can have access to the right ones at the right time. Issues could include accessibility, training, costs, awareness, TM, CPD... ... ...

This really is a chance to have some input into how languages are handled in the regions so please take the time to forward me your comments.

Best wishes,

Paul

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-08 20:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
I suspect Paul has quite a good knowledge of (UK) RLN websites already Sep 8, 2004

and an "inside" view at that

For UK members it's an interesting question.

Annira Silver  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:08
Finnish to English
+ ...
Promote translated literature, particularly for children Sep 8, 2004

I believe that the first step in promoting language learning in the UK (sadly lagging way behind other countries) is to get people, especially children, interested in languages. I feel that this is best achieved through translated books: an interest and curiosity about other cultures is a significant motivator to learning languages.

I speak from experience: by the time I was old enough to start learning languages at age 11, I had a pretty good idea of English and American cultures and customs, as well as Swedish, German and French, as I was a voracious reader of translated children's books. I remember wondering what muffins were when I read 'Little Women', and marvelling at the idea of toasting bread (typical of a child to focus on food, I suppose, but neither muffins nor toast were part of my Finnish childhood experience). I'm convinced that my interest and love of learning languages began thus. I was lucky to be educated in Finland, where language teaching was and is excellent, and learned four foreign languages to advanced standard at school.

Very little translated literature is published in the UK - or in the US, for that matter. I believe that the figure is somewhere around a paltry 2.5% of all published books, whereas in many European countries it might be anything between 30 and 80%. I'm not sure why publishers are so suspicious of it, as the quality of children's literature in many countries is wonderful. It seems incredible in today's multicultural Britain that our children are exposed almost exclusively to British books.

Naturally, the extra cost of translation doesn't help. This is where funding could make all the difference: if grant aid was available to publishers to pay translation costs, things might improve. Many European countries have run such a system very successfully for many years, but I've been unable to find any similar scheme in the UK, or at least one that's clear and accessible.

Of course, the same principle applies to adults, too. It seems very strange that we are able to travel quickly and cheaply all over the world, but the British reader is denied the literatures of even its closest European neighbours, let alone more distant countries. UK publishers are happy to let us read about the Australian or American back of the beyond but we're denied the pleasure of reading Dutch or Swiss or Portuguese books.

If you have any influence over the purse strings, Paul, I'm convinced that this would be money well spent.

My tuppence worth...

Annira

pablo1
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it depends on the point of view Sep 8, 2004

Hi Tayfun,

I know where they're coming from, Im looking for your take on it.

What I'm looking for is the opinions of translators, interpreters, cultural consultants and anyone involved in languages in import/export. I'll be taking these ideas to a forum being run by a Regional Development Agency looking to gain the views of language professionals on what barriers are facing them in their daily working lives, and how best to use the RDA support to try and overcome these.

pablo1
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same old, same old... Sep 8, 2004

Thanks Giuli, anything more to offer from your perspective?

pablo1
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mmm Sep 8, 2004

Thanks Annira,

Certainly more than I expected.

It's interesting to note thew difference between the UK and our European counterparts. We do have a certain nonchalance when it comes to exploring other cultures, in particular languages. Interesting to look at where this may be rooted - perhaps it is within the education system: it's not just businesses that have the "they all speak English don't they" attitude, it is apparent in Government and Education.

Mmm. I'll take that one on board.

Best wishes,

Paul
PS - don't think I have much influence at all over the purse strings but I intend to put our views accross...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(in the UK) what do language service providers want from regional development agencies

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search