Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish - seeking advice on getting started
Thread poster: Ally Stack

Ally Stack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2013

I am new to translation. I have a Bachelor's Degree in International Studies and Spanish. Could anyone give me some advice about how to get started?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It needs lots of research Apr 4, 2013

Welcome to ProZ.com and the world of translating.

I suppose you're sure you want to be a translator, and you know what the job entails - if not, find the answers now! Then, you need to decide whether you're the right person to be a freelancer. This entails a lot of independence, running a business (albeit a very small one) from home with nobody to take responsibility for your actions.

If you're still sure you want to go this route, then it's time to get started with one of the most important skills that a translator can have: research. You could do worse than devoting a lot of time to reading the various forums threads here and taking advantage of all the wealth of information here. I suggest you have a look at the "Education" tab here and make fll use of the Site Guidance centre here: http://www.proz.com/guidance-center

When you have some specific questions, come back here with them.

Happy research!

Nor Afizah Thalhan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 04:00
Member (2013)
English to Malay
Welcome! Apr 4, 2013

All i can say is you have come to the right place!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish - seeking advice on getting started

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search