IoLET DipTrans into American English - feedback needed
Thread poster: Kari Parrott

Kari Parrott
Local time: 07:38
Italian to English
+ ...
May 2, 2013

Has anyone taken the IoLET DipTrans into American English? I'm planning to take it in French to English and I'm concerned that my American vocabulary might be a problem. I'm taking a prep class right now and I keep running into this issue. Does anyone have any experience to share in this area?

David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:38
Member (2009)
French to English
Spelling? May 2, 2013

If you are wondering whether American spelling accepted, the IoLET are quite clear that it is as long as you are consistent throughout the exam. You can't write 'colour' in one sentence and 'color' in another! As to specifically American vocabulary, I'm sure that this too would be OK as long as it fits the style and register of the French.

Kari Parrott
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's more a question of vocabulary May 2, 2013

I'm not concerned about spelling, more about vocab differences. For example for "cités" in the sense of low income housing we might say "projects" in the States whereas they might say "housing estates" in British English. Also collocations seem to be different. I'm just wondering if this kind of thing has ended up being a problem for any Americans who took the test.

David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:38
Member (2009)
French to English
Don't know May 2, 2013

I honestly don't know! I am not American, but hopefully any who have taken the DipTrans will take the trouble to reply.

urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:38
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's possible May 2, 2013

I took the exam in the combination German>AmE in the late '90s. Like you, I attended a preparation course beforehand, and the instructor there said I should be sure to indicate clearly on every one of my translations that I was translating into US English. I passed on my first attempt, so it worked in my case.

Kari Parrott
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Encouraging! May 2, 2013

That's really encouraging, thanks! Did you try to "tone down" the Americanisms any or did you just go with what came naturally?

urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
pay attention to register May 3, 2013

Not sure what you mean by "tone down the Americanisms." For example, if the source text contained the word trottoir, you'd have to use "sidewalk," which is a full-blown Americanism, because there is no neutral, non-geographically-marked word.

The best advice I can give is just to translate as accurately as possible, and be consistent in your style.

French isn't one of my working languages, so I can't judge whether your example of cité is standard or more informal in register. I would say that "project" was informal, though, so it might not be suitable to use in a serious news article: in that case, "housing project" or even "public housing project" might be better. (But as I said, I can't assess the level of [in]formality of cité.)

Kari Parrott
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback May 3, 2013

Thanks, Urbom. I'll keep that in mind.

Rosa Foyle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just be sure to put US in brackets on the top of your title page May 6, 2013

I've taken the exam and was told by my tutor and the examiner at the center that when you write the language combination, make sure you put US in brackets, GER-ENG (US). I passed the exam with US spelling and all, so there should not be any problem.

Kari Parrott
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 6, 2013

Rosa Foyle wrote:

I've taken the exam and was told by my tutor and the examiner at the center that when you write the language combination, make sure you put US in brackets, GER-ENG (US). I passed the exam with US spelling and all, so there should not be any problem.

Good to know. I've been a little nervous so this really reassures me.

urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
at the top of every page May 7, 2013

Rosa Foyle wrote:

make sure you put US in brackets, GER-ENG (US).

Yes, exactly. I recall putting it at the top of every page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IoLET DipTrans into American English - feedback needed

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search