Nuri Razi
Turkey
Local time: 01:13
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I am thinking of moving to UK to live and work as freelance translator and interpreter ? First of my questions is, is this reasonable? Will UKBA (UK Border Agency) give me a work visa for this?

Secondly, can I get registered in as a freelancer in UK?

Thank you for your replies.

Nuri Razi

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:13
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
You would probably qualify Jan 29, 2014

Given your profile, you would probably qualify for a work visa under the category of "exceptionally talented people". You appear to be an established freelancer with a clientele and an income, which I would expect would work in your favour. The reality is that you would be contributing to the UK economy if you were to work there as a freelance translator. You could contact the Border Agency, explain that you want to work in the UK as a freelance translator, and ask them if you would qualify in the "exceptionally talented people" category. I think that's what I would do in your circumstances.

If you could obtain the work visa, you should then be able to go into business as a freelance translator with the same formalities as any UK citizen or resident wanting to do so. You would probably just need a reputable accountant to handle the formalities for you. That part of the operation should not, I believe, be too difficult, although I must admit that I have never worked as a freelancer in the UK.

Maybe some colleagues who have already been through this process in the UK and were in a similar position to you would like to comment?

urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:13
German to English
+ ...
some facts Jan 30, 2014

How much research have you done on the websites of the UKBA (UK Border Agency) and HMRC?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/turkish/
This section explains how Turkish nationals can apply to enter or stay in the UK if they want to establish themselves in business

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/self-employed.htm

Good luck!

Nuri Razi
Turkey
Local time: 01:13
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the fact Jan 30, 2014

Thank you colleagues for your explanations and comments.

I will look through the UKBA site and the other link as well.

Nuri Razi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

living and working in UK as a non EU foreigner

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search