Gizem KILIÇ
Gizem KILIÇ
Germany
Local time: 13:39
Turkish to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2014

Hi, there

Now, I'm a sophomore student of Translation and Interpreting Studies. I've been working as an intern in one of the most established localization firms in Turkey for 3 months. I've been thinking about moving to the USA or UK for the spring semester in 2014. I've always wanted to live in one of these countries and I was looking forward to do it through the university's exchange programs but due to some reasons, I don't seem likely to realize my dream in the near future. The
... See more
Hi, there

Now, I'm a sophomore student of Translation and Interpreting Studies. I've been working as an intern in one of the most established localization firms in Turkey for 3 months. I've been thinking about moving to the USA or UK for the spring semester in 2014. I've always wanted to live in one of these countries and I was looking forward to do it through the university's exchange programs but due to some reasons, I don't seem likely to realize my dream in the near future. Therefore, my plan is to suspend my studies here and move abroad to work as a paid intern. Do you think it is a wise thing to do? My A is Turkish, B is English and C is Spanish. Do you think there are any firms that will hire junior ungraduate students?
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Feb 1, 2014

Honestly--I doubt it, not in the US, to do translation. Also, you need at least a work visa to do paid internships in the US. You could try, though--perhaps in a different capacity than a translator. Translation is really for fully developed translators--it is not like with secretarial jobs, or even legal jobs where people make coffee and copies while observing what office work is all about. An unqualified translator is not of much use in a translation business, unless you want to make copies. T... See more
Honestly--I doubt it, not in the US, to do translation. Also, you need at least a work visa to do paid internships in the US. You could try, though--perhaps in a different capacity than a translator. Translation is really for fully developed translators--it is not like with secretarial jobs, or even legal jobs where people make coffee and copies while observing what office work is all about. An unqualified translator is not of much use in a translation business, unless you want to make copies. There are not even too many copies to be made anymore when most things are being digitally transmitted. You could try to study in the US, or another place and then try to establish your life there, after having obtained the right documents.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paid internships

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »