Thread poster: Flore Abadie
Flore Abadie
Flore Abadie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:13
English to French
Nov 11, 2004

Hello,

I have been asked to provide a certificate of residence to a Spanish Agency I have already done work for. Any idea where I should ask for that in the UK? I am thinking to move to France. Any idea who I should ask there?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Flore

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
German to English
UK situation Nov 11, 2004

Flore,

There's no such thing in the UK, so there's no "certificate of residence" you can supply to the Spanish agency. If they don't know that already, they're obviously pretty new in the business.

What you could quote them is your UK VAT No. (which is also your EU VAT ID No.). That establishes that you're registered with the tax authorities in the UK, which should be more than sufficient.

Robin

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
National Insurance number Nov 11, 2004

RobinB wrote:

Flore,

What you could quote them is your UK VAT No. (which is also your EU VAT ID No.). That establishes that you're registered with the tax authorities in the UK, which should be more than sufficient.

Robin

This is highly unlikely as you only have to be VAT registered in the UK if your earnings are above 56 000 k p/a. I suggest you offer them your National Insurance number.
I must admit, this request is ratherstrange. I have lived in Portugal for a while so I can understand Spanish ways a bit as well. But to ask a translator for a proof of residency when the translator is residing in another country - that is over the top.

Burrell

RobinB
United States
German to English
VAT registration Nov 11, 2004

Burrell wrote:

This is highly unlikely as you only have to be VAT registered in the UK if your earnings are above 56 000 k p/a. I suggest you offer them your National Insurance number.

Burrell

But for intra-community service deliveries, you have to either state a VAT number on the invoice or provide evidence of VAT exemption (although that may be ignored in the buyer country). So one way or the other, VAT comes into play.

OTOH, the NI number sounds plausible, though heaven knows what they'll make of it in Spain. After all, I've been out of the UK for 20 years now, but still have an NI number (and an NHS number...). These things stay with you till you die (and you'll probably need them after that, come to think of it).

Robin

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Police registration Nov 11, 2004

Dear Flore,
I understand if you go to the police you can register with them so that you will be able to prove you live here in the UK. I haven't done it myself but I know of people who have done it with the intention of being able to prove when they came into the UK for naturalisation/nationality purposes.
However this might not be what that agency wants....Spanish agencies and Inland Revenue are crazyyyyyyyy.
Good luck.
Jesus.

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
seller don't need to show VAT number... Nov 11, 2004

RobinB wrote:

But for intra-community service deliveries, you have to either state a VAT number on the invoice or provide evidence of VAT exemption (although that may be ignored in the buyer country). So one way or the other, VAT comes into play.

Robin

NO. You, as a seller, must state on your invoice the VAT number of the buyer (the agency). You are not obliged to show YOUR VAT number.. In Poland also u don't need to be VAT-registered until you earn less than 10000 EURO. So u make invoice for intra-community service delivery WITHOUT any "your" VAT number, just buyer's VAT.

Daniele

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
What is the relevance of such a certificate to business? Nov 12, 2004

Greetings.

May I ask, given the clear the pervasiveness of the Internet and online IDE, what is the relevance of such a "certificate of residency" to establishing and conducting one's business as a translator?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA

RobinB
United States
German to English
VAT information required on invoice Nov 12, 2004

Daniele Martoglio wrote:

NO. You, as a seller, must state on your invoice the VAT number of the buyer (the agency). You are not obliged to show YOUR VAT number..

Daniele

The information required to be shown on the invoice is listed at e.g.:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/taxation/e_invoicing/e_invoicing_faq1_en.htm#1.4.1

"Obligatory information for all invoices

An invoice must contain the following information:
the date of issue;
a sequential number that uniquely identifies the invoice;
the supplier's VAT identification number;
the customer's VAT identification number (only when the customer is liable to pay the tax on the supply);
the supplier's full name and address;
the customer's full name and address;
a description of the quantity and nature of the goods supplied or services rendered;
the date of the supply or payment (if different from the date of supply);
the VAT rate applied;
the VAT amount payable;
a break-down of the VAT amount payable per VAT rate or exemption;
the unit price of the goods or services exclusive of tax, discounts or rebates (unless included in the unit price)

Supplementary information required in certain cases
In some cases, additional information must be included on the invoice:
where:
the supply is exempted; or
the customer is liable to pay the tax (the supply is subject to the 'reverse charge procedure');
the invoice must contain
a statement explaining that this is the case; or
a reference to the appropriate (Community or national) legislation that deems the supply exempt or subject to the reverse charge procedure"

I think that says it all. I appreciate that VAT has become more complicated this year because of the new VAT Directive, but I must say I'm quite astonished at the number of questions here on ProZ and in other translator forums about VAT and invoicing. The relevant information is publicly available, and I'd also have thought that translators would have received comprehensive advice by now from their accountant or tax adviser.

It may be that transitional arrangements apply to the VAT regimes in the new (May 2004) accession states, but the requirements listed above certainly apply without exception to the "old" EU-15.

Robin

Flore Abadie
Flore Abadie  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Law on nonresident's income tax (art. 24 of the 41/1998 Spanish Law) Nov 13, 2004

Thanks for your suggestions.

Here are the info the agency sent me:

This Certificate of Residence is above the Law on nonresident's income tax (art. 24 of the 41/1998 Spanish Law).
This law says that generally a retention of 25% will be applied to nonresident professionals in Spain. If there's an agreement with the nonresident's country, the agreement will prevail.
Most of the agreements say that the nonresident's country will already retain personal income
... See more
Thanks for your suggestions.

Here are the info the agency sent me:

This Certificate of Residence is above the Law on nonresident's income tax (art. 24 of the 41/1998 Spanish Law).
This law says that generally a retention of 25% will be applied to nonresident professionals in Spain. If there's an agreement with the nonresident's country, the agreement will prevail.
Most of the agreements say that the nonresident's country will already retain personal income tax. This is, we don't have the obligation of retaining, because his country already does.
We ask you for this Tax Residence Certificate to assure ourselves regarding the Spanish Treasury in case they require these documents, to confirm that the retention has been correctly applied, that is zero. Since the responsibility of the retentions belongs to the paying company.
It is very important that we have this certificate as well as to be sure that this certificate exclusively comes from the state Treasury of your country because no other certificate from any other state organism will be valid. Also, you have to notice that this certificate is from the year in course and must be renewed each year. Remember this two points, the certificate must be from the year in course and from the state Treasury of your country.

Does that ring a bell?

Thanks once again,

Flore
Collapse

Grace Anderson
Grace Anderson
Italy
Italian to English
Certificate of Residence Nov 13, 2004

Hi Flore

I am resident in Italy and earlier this year I had to produce one of these certificates for an agency in Spain. I went along to my local tax office “Agenzia delle Entrate” here, explained what I needed, and eventually they produced it (I don’t think they get many requests for it). However, I am registered for VAT here and the tax office gave me a short certificate stating something like – “we attach hereto a copy of the entry in the VAT register [Number] proving
... See more
Hi Flore

I am resident in Italy and earlier this year I had to produce one of these certificates for an agency in Spain. I went along to my local tax office “Agenzia delle Entrate” here, explained what I needed, and eventually they produced it (I don’t think they get many requests for it). However, I am registered for VAT here and the tax office gave me a short certificate stating something like – “we attach hereto a copy of the entry in the VAT register [Number] proving tax residence in Italy” plus a copy of my VAT registration certificate. I sent the original (in Italian) to the agency in Spain and it was accepted without any problems.

As regards the UK, if I were you I would telephone the local Inland Revenue office (there are probaby toll-free numbers listed in the telephone directory) and ask them what to do. Otherwise, get back to the agency in Spain and ask them what document other UK suppliers usually provide to comply with this requirement. Probably a short (one-line) declaration stating that you are resident in the UK for tax purposes is sufficient.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Certificate of Residence Nov 13, 2004

Stephen Franke wrote:

May I ask ... what is the relevance of such a "certificate of residency" to establishing and conducting one's business as a translator?

If you ask me, it looks like a sign that the agency concerned is unfamiliar with the concept of self-employment. A common delusion on both sides, unfortunately. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, and Spanish Platinum members really do retain 25% of their membership fees until Henry sends them a certificate proving that he doesn't actually live in Spain.

Marc

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Bla bla bla.. Nov 24, 2004

RobinB wrote:

The information required to be shown on the invoice is listed at e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/taxation/e_invoicing/e_invoicing_faq1_en.htm#1.4.1
"Obligatory information for all invoices
An invoice must contain the following information:
the date of issue;
a sequential number that uniquely identifies the invoice;
the supplier's VAT identification number;
the customer's VAT identification number (only when the customer is liable to pay the tax on the supply);

...I must say I'm quite astonished at the number of questions here on ProZ and in other translator forums about VAT and invoicing. The relevant information is publicly available, and I'd also have thought that translators would have received comprehensive advice by now from their accountant or tax adviser.

Robin

Very very beautyful, also a link to UE server. But it isn't true. In many many countries it's the possibility to be a COMPANY and to be NOT-VAT registered. So I'M NOT-VAT-PAYER. My VAT number it's JUST INTERNAL POLISH NUMBER. And i CANNOT SHOW IT in UE-invoice.

You are so astonished for the number of questions, and you say that all is "publicly available". Anyway you wrote WRONG INFORMATION. I just write for "love for true".

Daniele

PS: i will NO answer to the next post according what i wrote here. I really begin to think that proz forums CAN BECOME a very little closed world.. AUTOREFERENZIALE we say in italian...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate of Residence

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »