Planning IOL DipTrans exam, should I also try ITI and ATA in the meantime?
Thread poster: tr. (X)
tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 02:55
English to Italian
Nov 30, 2004

I hope the question doesn't sound too crazy (or stupid, or both)

Here's explained:

I am definitely going to sit the IOL DipTrans exam in January 2006 (for English to Italian).

For a while now I've been looking at other translators associations that provide a form of certification after an exam or assessment, the ones I have considered are: ITI, ATA, and of course the Italian AITI.

... See more
I hope the question doesn't sound too crazy (or stupid, or both)

Here's explained:

I am definitely going to sit the IOL DipTrans exam in January 2006 (for English to Italian).

For a while now I've been looking at other translators associations that provide a form of certification after an exam or assessment, the ones I have considered are: ITI, ATA, and of course the Italian AITI.

Now, as I understand, if I do pass the DipTrans (fingers crossed, touch wood, etc. etc.), then that should be the highest credential in this field, right?

This is what I'm not too sure about: if you already have a DipTrans, does that grant you qualified membership in associations like ITI and ATA and so on? or would you still have to take the exam / assessment test for each association you want to become a qualified member of? would it make it entirely redundant?

Basically I would like to understand if it's more advisable to only prepare for the DipTrans, or if it's still a good idea to also apply for membership in those other associations in the meantime. (Next sessions for exams for both ITI and AITI are in spring 2005).

All this aside from considerations of financial costs involved and different views on whether it's worth getting this kind of credentials in the first place or not - I've obviously already made up my mind on that

Thanks in advance for any clarification or suggestion.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
IoL & ITI Nov 30, 2004

Traweb,

The ITI doesn't offer certification as such. It has a range of membership requirements, and they are stricter than those of the IoL (not everyone in the IoL likes me saying this, but both institutes state their membership requirements on their respective web sites - compare for yourself). As such, membership of the ITI is generally more highly regarded than that of the IoL where translators are concerned, which is to some extent understandable, since the IoL is a more genera
... See more
Traweb,

The ITI doesn't offer certification as such. It has a range of membership requirements, and they are stricter than those of the IoL (not everyone in the IoL likes me saying this, but both institutes state their membership requirements on their respective web sites - compare for yourself). As such, membership of the ITI is generally more highly regarded than that of the IoL where translators are concerned, which is to some extent understandable, since the IoL is a more general organization catering for all linguists.

Membership of a professional body such as the ITI (or for that matter of the IoL) cannot be compared directly to an academic qualification such as the Dip Trans. The ITI does not, at present, recognize the Dip Trans; that may change in the future, but even if it does, there will still be other requirements. Conversely, the Dip Trans isn't even a requirement for IoL membership (I don't have it for example, but am an MIL).

Your best course of action really depends upon what you are aiming to achieve. Are you trying to get a qualification in order to join a professional association, or do you want to join a professional association in order to be able to point to membership as a form of qualification?

If you simply want something with which to prove your competence to potential customers, a qualification such as the Dip Trans may be enough. The best qualification will be the one most highly regarded by your potential customer base, i.e. it may vary from country to country.

On the other hand, if you actually want to join a professional association, it would be better to join the one that best meets your needs, rather than the one that is easiest to join. Joining a professional association purely in order to be able to say that one is a member of a professional association isn't really a good move, in my opinion.

HTH,
Marc
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the reply, Marc Nov 30, 2004

I know the ITI doesn't offer ceritification, I was referring to the exam for qualified membership (that's what I meant by membership).

Perhaps my question sounded confused - what I meant to ask is not which institute / association was "easier" to get into in terms of exams and requirements (if it was too easy, I wouldn't be even bothering in the first place ), or which is more highly regarded - from what I gathered, b
... See more
I know the ITI doesn't offer ceritification, I was referring to the exam for qualified membership (that's what I meant by membership).

Perhaps my question sounded confused - what I meant to ask is not which institute / association was "easier" to get into in terms of exams and requirements (if it was too easy, I wouldn't be even bothering in the first place ), or which is more highly regarded - from what I gathered, both qualified membership for ITI (MITI) and the DipTrans, even if different in kind, are very highly regarded. And, I have come to realise, any qualified membership in a recognised association for my language combination would be something I'd be interested in.

So, I would like to be able to qualify for both the DipTrans and MITI, eventually, in the next few years. I'm not too sure about ATA, but I would be interested in AITI qualified membership too. I'll have to see.

What I was wondering is which one I should go for first, in terms of planning ahead. I was thinking of how associations in the Fédération internationale des traducteurs recognise other associations' qualifications as a bonus in applications for qualified membership. Somehow I got confused and included the DipTrans in that group... Thanks for clarifying that part.

Your best course of action really depends upon what you are aiming to achieve. Are you trying to get a qualification in order to join a professional association, or do you want to join a professional association in order to be able to point to membership as a form of qualification?

Both. I'm interested in the qualification itself, but also in being a member of an association, as a concept, and for the practical aspects I might find helpful, such as meetings, seminars, contacts, publications and such. Also, for personal reasons, it would be something I would like to do for myself, something to look forward to, to give me more motivation and confidence.

So, no, I don't see it just as a question of being able to say "I'm a member of", that's not what I had in mind.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out how I should plan ahead in terms of professional development (aside from work itself, I mean).

Thanks again,
Monica

[Edited at 2004-12-01 08:54]
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My view Dec 1, 2004

Ciao Monica,

I am also going to sit the IoL examination in Jan 2006 (may be we could compare notes...)

I think the DipTrans will open many doors in the UK and may be in the rest of Europe.

As for agencies based in North America, according to the people I consulted the ATA accreditation is better, since they know very little about IoL.

The best course of action (in my view) would be to have the DipTrans and ATA accreditation.

Due t
... See more
Ciao Monica,

I am also going to sit the IoL examination in Jan 2006 (may be we could compare notes...)

I think the DipTrans will open many doors in the UK and may be in the rest of Europe.

As for agencies based in North America, according to the people I consulted the ATA accreditation is better, since they know very little about IoL.

The best course of action (in my view) would be to have the DipTrans and ATA accreditation.

Due to time and money costraints, I have chosen to prepare only for the DipTrans for the time being.

Laura
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
grazie :) Dec 1, 2004

Ciao Laura,

I would love to get in touch and compare notes, especially considering we're doing the same language combination. That's a very nice suggestion, thanks! I will send you an email later.

Laura Gentili wrote:

Good point, I hadn't even thought about that. I haven't yet worked with many US agencies, but in checking application requirements, I also noticed they prefer the ATA.

The DipTrans is also top of my list in terms of priorities, I just thought while I prepare for that I may be able to try and pass the ITI and/or ATA tests. Especially seen as I do have time, I don't have much work right now so I thought I might as well try and take advantage of that somehow. On the other hand, I don't want to risk taking on more than I can handle in one go. So I still haven't decided about that.

Monica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Planning IOL DipTrans exam, should I also try ITI and ATA in the meantime?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »