Dip Trans in Germany?
Thread poster: Daniel Hawpe
Daniel Hawpe
Daniel Hawpe

Local time: 05:23
German to English
Dec 3, 2004

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if the IOL Diploma In Translation is recognized or generally accepted within Germany? Thanks....

AmiDan

Glyn Haggett
Glyn Haggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:23
German to English
Tread carefully Feb 1, 2005

Going back a few years (to 1994, to be precise), I applied to be a sworn translator at the Amtsgericht in Stuttgart. To start with, the court was not prepared to accept my Institute of Linguists Dip. Trans. as evidence of competence. The matter was referred to the EU in Brussels and the outcome was that the Dip. Trans. must be recognised, although the German authorities are still at liberty to apply an additional criterion (i.e. test or examination) should they wish.

I cannot say, o
... See more
Going back a few years (to 1994, to be precise), I applied to be a sworn translator at the Amtsgericht in Stuttgart. To start with, the court was not prepared to accept my Institute of Linguists Dip. Trans. as evidence of competence. The matter was referred to the EU in Brussels and the outcome was that the Dip. Trans. must be recognised, although the German authorities are still at liberty to apply an additional criterion (i.e. test or examination) should they wish.

I cannot say, of course, how typical my experience is and it may well be that I just happened to come across a particularly unpleasant form of "Beamtentum", but my advice would be to tread carefully.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Daniel Hawpe
Daniel Hawpe

Local time: 05:23
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dip Trans In Germany Feb 1, 2005

thanks much!

Glyn Haggett wrote:

I cannot say, of course, how typical my experience is and it may well be that I just happened to come across a particularly unpleasant form of "Beamtentum", but my advice would be to tread carefully.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dip Trans in Germany?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »