How to - for translators (beginners) in all countries
Thread poster: Ruxi

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2004

Soem weeks ago there was a discussion regarding a way to collect information for the beginners as freelance translators.
The conclusions of these discussions are: we could do "How-to's" for each country, where information can be found in a sort of database.
Somebody already did for France. I have already done for Germany and submitted to Ralf Lemster for corrections and suggestions.
Messages have been put in the Italian and Spanish forum, but did not yet show up.
I could see there are beginners who ask a lot of questions and also people who get established in a new country.
Here are some useful information needed:

1. Skills, Studies, certificates required
2. Certificates for notarial translations and Court
3. Financial registration (VAT a.s.o)
4. Medical insurance
5. Social insurance
6. Unemployment insurance
7. Pension insurance
8. Invoicing:
-softare
-VAT (income limits which require VAT registration, for which countries to consider VAT and for what kind of clients)
9. CAT - which is useful for what, features a.s.o
10. Other aspects
Web-sites with such information are also wellcome in the databases.

I am adressing here especially to countries like: Italy, Spain and Latin-American countries, all English speaking countries (UK,USA, Canada, Australia a.s.o), where there are a great number of translators.The others are also wellcome to do it for them.

Help your colleagues,
Ruxi

Direct link Reply with quote

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:10
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Country specific advice, a dream come true Dec 6, 2004

Ruxi wrote:

"How-to's" for each country,
Somebody already did for France. I have already done for Germany

2. Certificates for notarial translations and Court

(Hi Ruxi,
I was the one who wrote the how-to for France, and I'm glad to hear you've done the same for Germany. )

I just wanted to say that I think there is some real value in creating these country-specific how-to's. Everything I put in my how-to was all the information I wish someone could've told me when first coming to France. Of course it's written for foreigners establishing in France, but it's essential to give an overview to understand dramatically different administrative cultures.

As Tayfun said, this is a very challenging task. Challenging?Yes. Impossible? No, and highly worthwhile.

The very idea of country-specific advice is to highlight the procedural differences in different countries.

I agree with Tayfun that the dynamics of our times make things difficult due to continued changes. However, I think everybody's establishment is a personal journey with their own trials and tribulations. My how-to is an introduction to a procedural 'logic' as shown through my process of setting up as freelancer.
So it is meant to guide rather than be followed word to word, since it's true that some info may become oudated.

Proz.com is such a gold mine of information and knowledge. It would be a shame not to share with the beginners what we sweated to learn.

----------------------------

I would just like to add that the one thing I was not able to include in my how-to was information concerning certification for courts and certified translations.
I would appreciate it if someone could include this in the how-to. As far as I can see, only lawyers can become certified court translators (stamp and all), like the power of a notary in the US.

[Edited at 2004-12-06 20:22]

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Where is the one for Germany? Jan 8, 2005

Dear, dear Ruxi,

Ruxi wrote:
I have already done for Germany and submitted to Ralf Lemster for corrections and suggestions.

Did you you write it in German or in English?
Please let me know where and when it could be seen.

With many thanks
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-01-08 21:56]

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ask Ralf Lemster, please Jan 9, 2005

I have written the Howto for Germany in ...German and submitted it to Ralf Lemster some weeks ago (the beginning of December), in order to be checked and published by him as a "Howto".
I don't see it yet in the specific forum for (Howto's), so please contact Ralf Lemster for more information.

Good luck,
Ruxi

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Working on it... Jan 9, 2005

Hi,
I got it as a Word file on 16 December; unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to take a detailed look at it - simply because I've been working flat out. I'll deal with it as soon as I can.

BTW I wasn't going to publish it - I wanted to leave this to you, Ruxi. Whichever way you prefer.

Best regards,
Ralf

Neil Allen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
HOW TO for "régime des micro entreprises", France Jan 9, 2005

This is from a French accountancy firm and is aimed at those wishing to set up a small business (in France) which is complementary to their main activity:
http://www.broc.experts-comptables.fr/bcol_1.htm
--
Neil

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
No rush Jan 9, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
I got it as a Word file on 16 December; unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to take a detailed look at it - simply because I've been working flat out. I'll deal with it as soon as I can.

BTW I wasn't going to publish it - I wanted to leave this to you, Ruxi. Whichever way you prefer.

Best regards,
Ralf

Well no rush just because of me, the quality is more important. If you remember I had the same questions already some time ago and still didn't make much progress. Planning to go to Finanzamt tomorrow though in order to pick up the forms for Steuernummer.

So, just please don't forget to let me know. I will check the forum myself as well, of course.

Natalia

Nils Vanbellingen  Identity Verified
German to Dutch
+ ...
Getting established in Spain Feb 10, 2005

Hello,

I might have missed this, but where can find these How-To´s for Spain? I´d like to do some freelance translation work in SPain, but I have no idea about the official procedures and obligations...

Thanks a lot,
Nils

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to for Spain Feb 11, 2005

Hi Nils,

Up on the page, in the menu, you can see the button "How to's" and there you will find the How to for Spain made by our colleague - Parrot.

Good luck,
Ruxi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to - for translators (beginners) in all countries

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search