Raphaël Gingras
Raphaël Gingras
Canada
Local time: 19:19
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 5, 2005

Recently I read an article telling that one must not sends its résumé as an attachment when looking for potential clients. Instead, the author proposes to paste it in the body of the e-mail. I was wondering what are your experiences with this matter and what would you recommend?

Marsel de Souza
Marsel de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends on what the potential client's policy is Jan 5, 2005

Hi OnomatoP,

I would say it depends on what the policy of the potential client is. In my experience, I've seen the following situations:

1. E-mails with attachments are welcomed and even encouraged;

2. You are told not to send any attachments because they are automatically deleted;

3. An on-line application form is available and you do not need to send an e-mail.

4. An on-line application form is provided and in the end you
... See more
Hi OnomatoP,

I would say it depends on what the policy of the potential client is. In my experience, I've seen the following situations:

1. E-mails with attachments are welcomed and even encouraged;

2. You are told not to send any attachments because they are automatically deleted;

3. An on-line application form is available and you do not need to send an e-mail.

4. An on-line application form is provided and in the end you can upload your résumé as an attachment.

Basically, you need to check whether the potential client is taking any résumés at all and, if yes, what their guidelines are. When e-mail attachments are not accepted, there usually is an on-line form.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Marsel de Souza.
Brasilia, DF - Brazil
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 16:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Send your resume in both modes Jan 5, 2005

Greetings.

In view of variations and possibility that some servers and routers may detect and delete an attached file as a suspected virus (although other devices and servers may not), you might send your resume in both modes, pasted inside a text box (assuming it fits) and as an attachment.

HTH.

Regards,

S. H. Franke

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
I send it pasted Jan 5, 2005

As most potential customers won't accept attachments I send the CV pasted into the body of the e-mail as .txt and it works.
In a few cases they requested a .doc CV attached.

John Simpson
John Simpson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:19
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Put your information on a web site Jan 5, 2005

I have avoided both problems by putting my CV on a free web site and giving potential clients the link. It doesn't take long and it means that you can update it whenever you want and those agencies who get back to you six months later may view your most recent projects before picking up the phone.

Good luck.

John

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:19
online forms Jan 5, 2005

John's idea is excellent, worth doing.

I actually prefer doing online forms. (sad or what? )

I have AutoComplete set up in my web browser, so my details are automatically entered in most fields of the form anyway.

I usually check the agency's website to see if they have an online form or do they just ask you to email them. If they don't want attachments, they should say so. Sending attachme
... See more
John's idea is excellent, worth doing.

I actually prefer doing online forms. (sad or what? )

I have AutoComplete set up in my web browser, so my details are automatically entered in most fields of the form anyway.

I usually check the agency's website to see if they have an online form or do they just ask you to email them. If they don't want attachments, they should say so. Sending attachments has not been a problem for me anyway.

Orla
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 19:19
Member (2003)
French to English
I send it in pdf format Mar 3, 2005

That way, it is less likely to contain a virus and be blocked from someone's email by antivirus software. Plus it is not in a format where someone can edit my information, or see what tabs and other direct formatting I may have used in the word processing software I used to create it.

I don't particularly like when someone asks for my resume/cv in Word or WordPerfect, but I do it upon request. Also, the person who made the point that it depends upon the actual client, is correct,
... See more
That way, it is less likely to contain a virus and be blocked from someone's email by antivirus software. Plus it is not in a format where someone can edit my information, or see what tabs and other direct formatting I may have used in the word processing software I used to create it.

I don't particularly like when someone asks for my resume/cv in Word or WordPerfect, but I do it upon request. Also, the person who made the point that it depends upon the actual client, is correct, as some say to send it as part of the body of the email, some say as an attachment...so really, know who you are sending it to and what their policy is whenever possible and then when you don't know, come up with a solution based on what you are most comfortable with - I prefer to send it in pdf format, because one agency said that is what they suggest, and I like the idea. If I know differently, I do differently.

Good luck - good question, btw.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Send or paste résumé ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »