Moving from France to UK
Thread poster: Linda Ildevert

Linda Ildevert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
French to English
Feb 4, 2005

Hi everyone,
I'm currently working in France as a freelance translator, and I may have to move to the UK this year.
I hope to continue working with my current customers, but am unsure how the invoicing/payment/tax aspect will work?
I assume lots of UK translators work with France-based customers: do you invoice in pounds or euro? How do they pay? What about tax and VAT? I have heard that I may have to pay tax in France on what I invoice in France (this seems far-fetched to me!!)
Also, what sort of tax/health insurance/pension contributions should I expect to pay in the UK?
Thanks for your tips and advice!

Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Moving to UK Feb 4, 2005

Hi Eden,

I moved back to the UK myself from France almost four years ago now and work as a self-employed translator. It is very easy: you ring up the Inland Revenue and tell them you are going to be working self-employed and they send you all the necessary information. You will pay national insurance contributions of approx. £10 per month, yes that's right, per month!

I invoice my French clients in euros and they transfer the money to my British bank account where it is converted into pounds. £6 charge per payment. Or apparently you can set up a euro account here. I also keep an account in France where I send any cheques I receive in euros. I use that money when I am in France with my carte bleu.

You will have to keep careful records as you pay tax at the end of the first year on your earnings, approx 25%. The first couple of years are a bit tricky to manage as you have to get to a situation where you are paying tax in advancve, twice a year. An accountant does my accounts for me every year.

Forgot to mention VAT - you only need to register for VAT iy your income is over £50,00 per year. Otherwise it's optional.

Good luck!
Mary

[Edited at 2005-02-04 11:24]

Alberto Orengo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:42
English to Italian
+ ...
council tax Feb 5, 2005

Don't forget the council tax if you rent a house/flat. Where I leave now it's around 1000£/year. I didnt't know that before leaving Italy!

Linda Ildevert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your info and advice! Feb 8, 2005

Hi Mary and Alberto,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me!
I will definitely keep a copy of your replies, and refer to it when (and if) I arrive in the UK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from France to UK

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Your current localization setting

English

Select a language

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search