what to include on your business card
Thread poster: xxxlexcetera
xxxlexcetera
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 11, 2005

Hello Proz!

I'm a professional Legal Interpreter, Sp -Eng, currently working in the United States as a independent freelancer. I plan on getting business cards printed up. I would like to know your opinions and suggestions on how best to design them: what should I include on the card besides contact info? Any traps to look out for? Which term is more appropriate to put on the card, "Judiciary Interpreter" or "Legal Interpreter"?

If it makes a difference, my current market for work consists of attorneys who require depositions, as well as municipal courts for the usual proceedings that go on there.

Once again, I greatly appreciate your suggestions and advice from the seasoned professionals on this board.

Sincerely,

Legalace

Direct link Reply with quote

Jill Sommer
United States
Local time: 21:58
German to English
What to include on your business card Feb 11, 2005

Dear Legalace,

At the very least you should have your name, language pair, services offered, any certifications, address, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address listed. You need your card to convince potential clients to hire you by offering all the pertinent information at a glance and all your contact information (including a cell phone if you have one). Since I don't work in the legal field I really can't answer your second question, but [certified] court interpreter and/or judiciary interpreter seems to be the most commonly used terms. You may want to contact some members of NAJIT (National Assocation of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators and ask them or check out their web site (www.najit.org). In fact, you might want to consider joining NAJIT.

Sincerely,
Jill Sommer

[Edited at 2005-02-11 20:40]

xxxlexcetera
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Suggestions Feb 12, 2005

Hello Jill, thanks for the helpful hints. The standard contact info is pretty much what I had thought about including on the card; and I agree "judiciary" is more accuarate than the other term. I'm going to come up with a good business name first and then register it before going to the printer's.

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Bilingual Business Card (Side 1= English and side 2 = Spanish) Feb 12, 2005

Greetings.

If I may add a design point to Jill Sommer's good suggestion of the content of your business card.

Have a two-sided bilingual card printed (embossed may be better), with your information in English shown on one side, and matching information in Spanish shown on the reverse side.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Czech to German
+ ...
http://www.proz.com/post/116586#116586 Feb 13, 2005

Hi Legalace,

did you have a look at this posting? It's about almost the same question (one year ago) and there have been quite a lot of hints, maybe you will find something useful there as well.

Have a nice Sunday,

Charlotte

xxxlexcetera
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Link! Feb 14, 2005

Thanks for the informative link! Just what I was looking for.
The design tips are also appreciated, again thanks to everyone who responded!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to include on your business card

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search