Thread poster: Julie FOLTZ
Julie FOLTZ
Julie FOLTZ
France
Local time: 07:00
English to French
+ ...
Feb 15, 2005

I've never done that kind of job and I don't know what it entails if you could give me some insight...Thanks in advance.

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:00
French to English
+ ...
EDITING IS... Feb 15, 2005

Editing is reading through a document and checking the grammar and improving it by rewriting some sentences to improve its style, clarity, etc...

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
Simply put Feb 15, 2005

ed·it [Irrelevant definitions snipped]

1. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.

That's the dictionary definition. Variants include copyediting and substantive editing, the latter being more complex. In the translation context, "correcting" a translation is usually called "proofreading." In general, editing involves making more changes than does proofreading; a practitioner of the former concerns
... See more
ed·it [Irrelevant definitions snipped]

1. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.

That's the dictionary definition. Variants include copyediting and substantive editing, the latter being more complex. In the translation context, "correcting" a translation is usually called "proofreading." In general, editing involves making more changes than does proofreading; a practitioner of the former concerns himself or herself with tone, flow, lucidity, etc. in addition to grammar and style. The proofreader's job is to make sure there are no errors left in the document.

Someone proofreading a translation, however, usually has the additional responsibility of making sure the translation is faithful and, correct, and comprehensible. You may be required to do some or all of the above if you're asked to edit.
Collapse

Helene Diu
Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:00
Member (2004)
English to French
An editing guideline Feb 16, 2005

Hello Julie,

Here are the some instructions I received from one of my clients. I find them to be very simple and very good in terms of explaining the role and boundaries of editing, which is not always an easy task.

It is always easier to translate than to edit someone else’s writing. Yet we cannot impose our individual writing style on another individual. Therefore, a good editing job focuses on terminology, grammar, syntax and consistency of expression.

My clients give my comments to the translator, who accepts some changes and rejects others.

On top of editing, you can add proofreading, i.e. looking for typos, spelling mistakes etc.

Hope this helps

Helene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's editing ?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »