Advice on translation job
Thread poster: Keir
Keir
German to English
Mar 7, 2005

Hello!

I am looking for some advice from seasoned translators, as to whether I should take a job:

You can see my background is very limited if you look at my profile, but I do have good language skills (technical / scientific German).

I've been offered a fairly low-paid job doing German -> English for an IT services company in DE.

I did a "test translation" for them, and it was fun, and they want me to come for interview.

I'm thinking I can do their job for 6 months (the contract time), get some experience that way, maybe study part-time for an MA Trans... then try to move on...

Does it sound like a good idea to start my (hypothetical) translation career this way?

Yours sincerely,

K. Hopwood MSci YiE

Direct link Reply with quote

gad
United States
Local time: 06:24
French to English
It's up to you... Mar 7, 2005

I think it sounds good, provided that even though it is low, you can still live on what the pay will be, plus it is something that you consider to be worth your while. I would say it sounds like a good opportunity, though, to expand your expertise and gain some valuable experience.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:24
Go for it! Mar 7, 2005

in-house jobs generally tend to offer low (-ish) pay, that is why most translators go freelance and make more money that way. Also, you cannot expect a high salary if you don't have much experience.

However, given your limited translation experience up til now, this is a good opportunity to get the experience and guidance you need.

Viel Glueck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on translation job

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search