Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 23, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I'm a translator from English and French to Spanish and Catalan, and was thinking about joining a team of translators here in proz.com, not being a platinum member yet.

Maybe this is explained somewhere, but I didn't find it...

Thanks and greetings to everyone!

Anabel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-23 10:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
info from FAQs Mar 23, 2005

From the FAQs:

2. Who can be a part of a ProZ.com translation team?

Any ProZ.com member can be part of a team. However, only Platinum members can create a new team, invite other translators, and have control over the team's settings.

Full info. on teams here:
http://www.proz.com/faq/teams#what_is_a_team

xxxEdda Emery  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for Team info Mar 24, 2005

Thanks Anabel for asking the question I've been wondering about too. Thanks for the answer, Cindy. I'm new to ProZ and am still browsing to find out all the information that makes up the whole picture.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The team leader invites members Mar 24, 2005

The team leader is the initiator of the group and the first visible profile on the team's page. No one else on the team may invite new members.

Not all the teams that are published on ProZ.com are the teams that are actually formed. Teams come into existence in the course of an assignment (real job) or project (potential job/bidding/setting up an agency or cooperative). In the first case, the members tend to reflect the same language combination, or one combination and its inverse, thus covering common contingencies for the job type they target. In the second case, they may reflect more versatility.

The biggest reason teams are formed is the existence of some large-scale job in which the outsourcer has limited project management capabilities (no real control over target language, translator-proofreader conflicts, etc.). Instead of recruiting individual translators one by one and dealing with their issues individually, the outsourcer then asks for a team, preferrably with past experience and proven compatibility in working together, presuming that any questions it cannot resolve can be resolved internally.

Thus, many more teams are formed temporarily than are "officially" announced on ProZ.com on a permanent basis, since they depend on language combinations and specializations, and one translator may have several of these. The traffic within temporary "de facto" teams being quite intense, my advise would be to make yourself known in your combination and specialization over KudoZ, the Forums, and by attending pow-wows. Someone is then bound to remember you and refer you some clients, or ask you into some project.

In the days when translation still required the physical presence of translators, it was not very feasible to present teams unless these were attached to specialized professional offices (law offices, auditing firms, etc.), which assured their continuity. The selling point of individual translators depended largely on the language combinations they could cover. These days, however, a group of retired court magistrates from different points of the globe working one or several combinations is in a very good position to form an on-line team and corner the market for jurisprudence...

Hope it helps.

xxxEdda Emery  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
German to English
+ ...
Help is much appreciated! Mar 24, 2005

It's great to see that "older" and more experienced members of ProZ take the time to help the newer members who are a little overwhelmed by the volume of information and the options we may exercise here on ProZ.

I've spent several hours just looking at all the links and tabs, trying to familiarise myself with what's available. The information you gave has been most helpful, THANK YOU!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I join a translators' team?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search