Considering Translation Career
Thread poster: Lisa Arpaia, Esq.
Lisa Arpaia, Esq.
Italian to English
Mar 24, 2005

Hello All,

I am new to the site. I am an Immigration Attorney in the US with my own practice. I studied Italian while in high school and college many years ago. Since Oct 03 I have been studying privately with an excellent professor. I am at the Intermediate level of speaking, reading and writing. I am interested in adding translation services to my career. So, I have a few initial questions for anyone out there...

1) Is anyone familiar with the U of Toronto's distance education certificate in Translation Studies -- the certificate includes: Italian for Professionals -- Advanced, Advanced Italian Translation and High Advanced Italian Translation. It has been difficult to find other Ital-English distance learning/online or NYC/CT programs close to where I live. Also, I have not been able to find any programs that include Legal Translation in Italian (except for in Italy, of course)

2) Does anyone know if there are any opportunities to apprentice/intern for pay or not w/ an experienced Ital-English translator either in CT/NYC or long-distance via e-mail?

3) Has anyone used these books and found them useful?
S. Hervey, I. Higgins, S. Cragie, P. Gambarotta, Thinking Italian Translation. A Course in Translation Method: Italian to English, London, Routledge, 2000

Translator Self-Training Program, Italian: A Practical Course in Technical Translation
Morry Sofer (Editor)

4)and one last question:

Does anyone know where in the tri-state CT/NY/Mass/NJ area the Italian competency exams are held? CELI, CILS, PLIDA -- the Italian Cultural Institute in NY and the Dante Alighieri Society in NY and CT do not offer them.

Thank you,
Lisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
For questions 2 and 4, check the ATA website... Mar 24, 2005

at www.atanet.org. They have a mentorship program that might suit your needs, and they offer certification exams for various translation pairs (but English always has to be a source or target language), throughout different US cities every year. I believe they even offered a certification exam at their annual conference in Toronto last year. Surely other colleagues can provide more acurate info.

[Edited at 2005-03-24 21:31]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Italian translation Mar 24, 2005

Interesting - and I am considering going to law school.

Anyway, Thinking Italian Translation is a good book.

Also visit the website of the ATA's Italian Language Division and click on NEWSLETTER for previous articles: http://www.ata-divisions.org/ILD/

In addition, I would read these excellent articles about the translation profession:
http://home.comcast.net/~r.chriss/Articles/Articles.html

For listening practice you can watch the news in Italian online at http://www.rai.it/ (Click on TG1 TG2 or TG3 under news) or get a satellite dish like me (see link below).

Welcome and Good luck.

Jeff Whittaker
www.TampaTranslations.com/dish.htm

LFAESQ wrote:

Hello All,

I am new to the site. I am an Immigration Attorney in the US with my own practice. I studied Italian while in high school and college many years ago. Since Oct 03 I have been studying privately with an excellent professor. I am at the Intermediate level of speaking, reading and writing. I am interested in adding translation services to my career. So, I have a few initial questions for anyone out there...

1) Is anyone familiar with the U of Toronto's distance education certificate in Translation Studies -- the certificate includes: Italian for Professionals -- Advanced, Advanced Italian Translation and High Advanced Italian Translation. It has been difficult to find other Ital-English distance learning/online or NYC/CT programs close to where I live. Also, I have not been able to find any programs that include Legal Translation in Italian (except for in Italy, of course)

2) Does anyone know if there are any opportunities to apprentice/intern for pay or not w/ an experienced Ital-English translator either in CT/NYC or long-distance via e-mail?

3) Has anyone used these books and found them useful?
S. Hervey, I. Higgins, S. Cragie, P. Gambarotta, Thinking Italian Translation. A Course in Translation Method: Italian to English, London, Routledge, 2000

Translator Self-Training Program, Italian: A Practical Course in Technical Translation
Morry Sofer (Editor)

4)and one last question:

Does anyone know where in the tri-state CT/NY/Mass/NJ area the Italian competency exams are held? CELI, CILS, PLIDA -- the Italian Cultural Institute in NY and the Dante Alighieri Society in NY and CT do not offer them.

Thank you,
Lisa

Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 16:40
English to German
+ ...
U of Toronto Mar 25, 2005

LFAESQ wrote:

Hello All,

Thank you,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I've taken 1 semester of the U of T distance course post advanced level Translation for the Workplace in English-German. This was in 2002, and my experience was quite frustrating. When I got their documents incl. several texts to translate, they had also given me a fax number. Later I was told that I could not fax in my translated assignments but was supposed to send them per snail mail. Since I live in Germany, this can take awhile. When I protested, they made an 'exception' for me. It also took months to get my graded assignments back (again per snail mail). When I did get them back, each one of them was graded 100% with succinct comments like "excellent work" and such, from which I really couldn't learn anything. Also, the professor is not available to discuss your work on the phone or per E-mail, for that matter.

During all this time I had a spirited E-mail correspondence with the head of the department who told me my suggestions for changes were excellent and that she would try to implement them for future programs. At the time, the course was $500 CAN per semester. I don't know what it costs today and if they have made any significant changes. The upshot is, I was too frustrated to spend another 1000 bucks to finish the course and get a certificate.

Olav

Lisa Arpaia, Esq.
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 25, 2005

I would like to thank everyone for all of the comments, so far.
Lisa

Timothy Barton
Local time: 01:40
French to English
+ ...
Translation Mar 26, 2005

The fact you included the following paragraph as your first point is commendable:

So many people come on here saying they know a bit of French/Italian/Spanish etc. and would like to start translating. Like any other profession, the right training is required.

GiovannaH
Italian to English
italian to english Apr 8, 2005

Hello: I too am new to the site and wanted to respond to Lisa Arpaia as I have been searching for a long time on how to get a certificate for translating italian/english online. I am aware of the U. Toronto program and have also sat at some information sessions at NYU. Although NYU offers certificates in five languages, italian is not one of them unfortunately. One can only get a translation degree italian/english by enrolling for a full masters program and that requires complete proficiency in a third language as well. I have written to NYU begging them to add italian to their certificate program but no luck. NYU offers courses in legal and business translation as part of their masters program and certificate program, but of course for the latter not available in italian. I majored in italian literature and completed a partial masters program in italian literature at Columbia a long time ago and at one time was an italian interpreter for the Lavoro Bank and have excellent command of written italian and english. I need to find a specialized certificate program in italian which includes legal and business training and am just writing to commiserate, will let you know if I come up with anything and hopefully you will do the same for me. Good luck, Giovanna H

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
I have a Certificate from U of T Apr 18, 2005

Hello all
I am native German and have been speaking english fluently for 15 years. (just for some background info)
When I got laid off from my "regular" day-job for the 3rd time in 10 month, I started wondering what else I could do, to stand on two legs, so to speak. The thought of translation came to me. I had done translations as part of my regular work and was happy (and so were my previous employers) with the results.
I read a LOT of postings here and decided, that in spite of my bilingual background, I wanted to show some sort of "degree" because I thought it would greatly improve my chances of getting paid work.

There is no english-german certification program of any kind close to here. I couldn't afford to go to college or private schools and get a degree in a language. ATA programs/certifications cost a lot of money and I'd have to travel a ways and, as I understand it, they want significant prior degrees/experience etc. (If I had a bachelors or masters in anything, I'd probably do that and not look at translation) and, yes, I was worried that I'd spend several hundred $$ and fail the test. And I'm very much against what the ATA is turning into (i.e. my certification is good only for as long as I'm a paying member? Hello, does my quality of work diminish once I stop paying? - but that's my personal opinion, I don't want to work with that organisation)

After many hours of research, pretty much the only option I found that would work for me was the U of T certification. I was on the phone with the director of the program several times asking questions. She was always very helpful and friendly. - She told me that they pretty much pass everyone that takes the program, which in itself tells you something about it.
But - I took the class, have the certificate and am happy with it and proud of it. I have been getting paid jobs, and even repeat business, even though I've been doing this for only 6 month - judging by a lot of postings I read before "getting into it", I thought it'd take at least a year before I made anything at all.

Well, I'm happy, I'm getting work, it's worked for me and was worth it.
Thanks for reading all my babble
Heike

jstrelec  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:40
French to English
U of T Apr 26, 2005

Hello there, I was wondering if U of T stood for University of Toronto (which I have looked at myself)?

Thanks for your reply.
Jessica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering Translation Career

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search