https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/30991-need_some_short_essay_motto_for_translation.html

need some short essay/motto for translation
Thread poster: siralbert
siralbert
siralbert
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 3, 2005

Hello, everyone.
I'm now doing some digest/translation work for a newspaper's supplement. That's a page in the newspaper containg articles on life, short stories of famous person, mottos,short stories full of wisdom and so on. My work is to collect and translate them for the newspaper press.
Passages at that page has two principles in general: first, they must not be too long, 1000 words or so is the best( Of course mottos in group could fulfill this requirment naturally); second, th
... See more
Hello, everyone.
I'm now doing some digest/translation work for a newspaper's supplement. That's a page in the newspaper containg articles on life, short stories of famous person, mottos,short stories full of wisdom and so on. My work is to collect and translate them for the newspaper press.
Passages at that page has two principles in general: first, they must not be too long, 1000 words or so is the best( Of course mottos in group could fulfill this requirment naturally); second, they must be able to make us moved or tell us some truth that make us think more about ourselves, the society or the world.
I suppose short essay or motto like those at magazines such as "Reader" or "Reader Digest" might fulfill the requirment, as long as they are not that long. The problem is where to find similar essays via internet? I'm not a native English speaker and do not have much information on this kind of website.
Could anyone help me with that? I would be very happy if you could recommend me some website related. Thank you for reading!
Collapse

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
request clarification Apr 5, 2005

Do you want articles about translation-related issues, or just general interesting articles that you are going to translate?

siralbert
siralbert
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good question Apr 6, 2005

Wendy Leech wrote:

Do you want articles about translation-related issues, or just general interesting articles that you are going to translate?

I just found my topic a bit confusing. Maybe I should say "need some short esay/motto to translate".
Yes, I just want general interesting articles to translate, including those about society, lives, loves, wisdom, or even something about ordinary life and common affairs, etc. If they could help us learn more or think more about general issues, or give you suggestion about life philosophy or the way of thinking, while they are not very long(about 500~1000 words) themselves, that would be perfect.
Thank you for your question, and I wish you and other ones could give me some suggestion. I've tried Google and other search engines, yet I haven't found any website containing many articles which fulfill my request. Maybe I didn't hit the key point since I'm not a native English speaker

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need some short essay/motto for translation

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »