How to calculate percentage of word price for trados
Thread poster: xxxtextolab
xxxtextolab
Local time: 20:58
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2005

Hi,

I'd like to know how much people usually charge for the percentage of word price in euro, for trados.

Ex: 74% -0% matches :
75%- 94 % matches:
95 - 99 % matches
100 % matches
repetitions

Thank you.

Murielle

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Flemish to English
+ ...
The same as for the use of Déjà Vu Apr 28, 2005

As much as I usually calculate for the use of Déjà-Vu.
A normal rate per word with NO reductions, unless the outsourcer is willing to pay me the license for Tradosv7.0

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
German to Spanish
Download this program Apr 28, 2005

textolab wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to know how much people usually charge for the percentage of word price in euro, for trados.

75%- 94 % matches:
95 - 99 % matches
100 % matches
repetitions

Thank you.

Murielle

It is for free and it comes with a few possible "scenarios".

www.catcount.com

Rgds

Toledo

Germany
German to Spanish
what do you propose we should do? Apr 28, 2005

Williamson wrote:

As much as I usually calculate for the use of Déjà-Vu.
A normal rate per word with NO reductions, unless the outsourcer is willing to pay me the license for Tradosv7.0

If a agency gives me a 10.000 € project I can manage in 2 month WITH analysis, should I say NO, I do not accept your offer cause...cause, cause what?

En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme...

Each new deal is a new deal,

flexibility this is the Keyword

Think about.

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-04-28 19:17]

xxxtextolab
Local time: 20:58
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 28, 2005

Thank you for the link. I will download this freeware. I am considering of purchasing TRADOS, but I was asked to provided my percentage of word price to an agency.

It gives me a great idea. But I think, I gave the wrong quote. Oh well, I'll know for next time.

Murielle

Toledo wrote:

textolab wrote:

Hi,

75%- 94 % matches:
95 - 99 % matches
100 % matches
repetitions

Thank you.

Murielle

It is for free and it comes with a few possible "scenarios".

www.catcount.com

Rgds

Toledo

Germany
German to Spanish
Think that Apr 28, 2005

you do not need to buy Trados for small projects, you can work with Wordfast. It is compatible with Trados as long as they do not ask for project settings or filters.

Take your time and try ALL CATS (at least the 3 big ones DVX, SDLX, Trados) to see which one is the best for your requirements

You can get wordfast here:
http://www.wordfast.net/

[Edited at 2005-04-29 09:24]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Trados: Marketing on the back of the Translator. Apr 29, 2005

The matches' system is a part of the marketing strategy of Trados. When the freelance market is saturated, they will have to sell their products elsewhere. They do that by pointing out to companies how much they can save.
---
Who is the "en un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme" (opening sentence of "Don Quijote") in this case?
Atril, the company who produces Déjà Vu does not promote this system, but uses excellence as a marketing tool.

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Trados breakdown rates Apr 29, 2005

textolab wrote:

Hi,

75%- 94 % matches:
95 - 99 % matches
100 % matches
repetitions

Thank you.

Murielle

I don't know if Trados is better or worser than other tools. I've used Trados from 2000 and have bought the updates since then (so I've bought the Trados versions 2; 2.2; 3; 5; 6; 6.5) and I guess the yearly costs are about 150 Euro.
I only use the Trados breakdown rates for longer projects and for new clients only if he provides me with translation memory (TM) with applicable translation units.
In this cases my breakdown rates are:

0-74% matches..................3/3 of full price = full price
75-99% matches.................2/3 of full price
100% matches + repetitions.....1/3 of full price

Is this a fair price system?
I think so.
New clients (or new projects form an old client) are not invoiced with this system because I consider some repetitions no good reason for price deduction. Every translation has its pros and cons (electronic source text or not, readability, quality and difficulty of the source text, less or much consultation with the client, less or much research et cetera, et cetera) and some repetitions is one of these factors.
Some clients argue that 100 % matches and / or repetitions should not be invoiced. Well, I don't think so. First of all, the quality of the translation memory the clients provides you with is an important factor. I've seen translations, no matter the match, who were worthless in every aspect (and I've to say, I've also seen translations who were excellent and a source of expertise for me, both regarding to the discipline as to the language). Besides the quality, there's consistency. When you're done, the sentences which came from the TM and the sentences you produced have to show consistency, which means the 100% matches have to be read and sometimes changed. As to repetitions, they cost time. After you entered the translation of a sentence which occurs 10 times, you go also trough the other nine ones. Worser, when you proofread your own translation and change the first one, for the next nine you have to use the "get translation" button (or Alt + s, g) to get the changed translation.

Dr. Janos Annus  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why cheaper rates for Trados matches? May 1, 2005

I don't see the reason why Trados (or other CAT) matches should be cheaper. Unless there are really big number of repetitions. The reason why I think so: Trados and any CAT tool costs money, it is an investment for a translator, like her/his education, dictionaries, etc., have to get return and profit from it... paid USD 800+ for Trados, it is there, not in the bank.. no interest earned on it. Even with Trados, matches and repetitions have to be checked again and again. Similar when a company does not want to pay for pronouns, and-s and or-s...
If they want less for repetitions, then they should send the text without repetitions and then put the repetitions back into the text themselves after translation. Same with pronouns and words like and, or.. etc.,

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Good point May 3, 2005

janosa wrote:

If they want less for repetitions, then they should send the text without repetitions and then put the repetitions back into the text themselves after translation. Same with pronouns and words like and, or.. etc.,

This is a very good point. Basically, whether or not to charge less for matched segments is up to you; I would tell the agency that I would give a discount for 100% matches ONLY if I were permitted not to touch the matched segments at all. It takes time to check through to make sure it is appropriate to use the suggested match, and I would wish to be compensated for my time and expertise. I would not be inclined to give a discount for fuzzy matches, for a similar reason.

Translation tools cost us money, and we can gain from them in terms of productivity. I think it is fair to pass on some of this gain to the client, but it's a decision for the individual translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate percentage of word price for trados

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search