Requirements for translators in Austria
Thread poster: EvaVer

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:15
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Sep 12

There is no category "translation in Austria", so I am posting it as "getting established". What are the requirements for a translator to get a business licence in Austria (and is it a business licence, or something else)? I might have to move there for some time and to register as a resident, but I am afraid I would not be allowed to continue my business, as I 1) don't speak German, 2) have no higher education (but 30 years of successful practice). My clients are all over the world, none in Austria, although some have branch offices there, so it is theorically possible I would work for an Austrian client (but unlikely in view of my language pairs) - just to say that I wouldn't take work away from the locals. In my current country, there are no special qualification requirements for a translator, so my existing licence is no proof of qualification that could be recognized there. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Eur 120 / year Sep 12

In Austria, translation falls under the category Sprachdienstleistung. This also includes interpreting, and language instruction. For translation, at least when I applied for a Gewerbeschein or (business license), there were no other requirements than paying the application fee and the annual fee thereafter. You will be required to have health insurance however, if you're not already insured through an employer.

For more info see https://www.wko.at/service/suche.html?searchTerm=gewerbeschein

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 12

This is a relief, I was afraid there would be qualification requirements as in some other countries!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requirements for translators in Austria

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search