Thread poster: Helen Whiteley
Helen Whiteley
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
French to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2005

Hello,

After a year of deliberation, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and try to find work as a translator. I graduated with a degree in Applied Languages and Translating in 2003, and am an Associate of the ITI. Translation is something I am extremely passionate about, and I would love to eventually make a career from it. My issue is this: I am registered as a business, and was going to look for potential clients through mailshots etc. However, does this status mean that I can still contact translation agencies for potential work? Would it cause any problems or would I be paid independently of my business status? (Provided of course, that they deem me suitable!) Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Helen

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
English to Tamil
+ ...
No conflict Jul 26, 2005

Nothing in the regulations prevent you from taking up jobs from agencies as well as direct clients. In fact, an agency for which you work is just another direct client for you. You hand over the translation to them and what they do with it is none of your business. By the same token, what the agencies experience with their clients is also of no concern to you.

Hence do not accept the excuse of the translation agencies delaying your payments because they are not paid by their client.

Alles Gute,
N.Raghavan

Helen Whiteley
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 26, 2005

Thats very useful to know, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies vs direct marketing

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search