Off topic: Cost of living at Torrance - LA - California
Thread poster: Egmont

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 11:41
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2005

I need top know as much as possible useful information about cost of living (home and so on) at Torrance - LA - California. Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 03:41
French to English
+ ...
Global cost of living survey 2005 Sep 15, 2005

That depends on the size of the apartment.

Search Apartments in Torrance, California www.rent.com/apartments/california/ los-angeles-and-vicinity/torrance/

Global/Worldwide 2005 Cost of Living Survey City Rankings
http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

good luck


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 11:41
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Sep 15, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:

That depends on the size of the apartment.

Search Apartments in Torrance, California www.rent.com/apartments/california/ los-angeles-and-vicinity/torrance/

Global/Worldwide 2005 Cost of Living Survey City Rankings
http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

good luck
Thanks for your useful links, Rita. Best regards,


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Cost of living at Torrance - LA - California Sep 15, 2005

avrvm wrote:

Rita Heller wrote:

That depends on the size of the apartment.

Search Apartments in Torrance, California www.rent.com/apartments/california/ los-angeles-and-vicinity/torrance/

Global/Worldwide 2005 Cost of Living Survey City Rankings
http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

good luck
Thanks for your useful links, Rita. Best regards,


Hi avrvm;
I lived in Torrance back few years ago when I got transfered from S.Barbara. It was and is a rather expensive Town. Being so close to S.Pedro, Redondo Beach and similar expensive towns on the ocean, so housing is a bit hard to find and rent. Cost of purchasing one hovers around $500.000. I paid at the time $ 1.300 a month for rent. If you do be also aware of where you rent due to the fact that it is near Carson, Lomita rather rough neighbourhoods. I lived in Torrance because I could not afford to live in Redondo Beach where I worked. Apartments go anywhere from 1 room apt. at $800/900 a month to 2 rooms and up for $1.000 up ward depending on the area. It is a nice looking town and bery close to many of the ocean cities.
If you nee more info let me know.
Michael


Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 03:41
French to English
+ ...
link with loads of info Sep 15, 2005

http://www.city-data.com/city/Torrance-California.html

Their weather report says it varies from 46 - 78 degrees F, but being from Los Angeles, I can tell you that it gets a lot hotter than that (95 during heat waves).
It is very smoggy, there is a lot of traffic, etc.

Ask me more specific questions and I will try to answer them.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-09-15 22:44]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxPFB  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
English to French
+ ...
Californian heat wave Sep 15, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Torrance-California.html

Their weather report says it varies from 46 - 78 degrees Centrigade, but being from Los Angeles, I can tell you that it gets a lot hotter than that (95 during heat waves).
It is very smoggy, there is a lot of traffic, etc.

Ask me more specific questions and I will try to answer them.

Good luck!


Hi, Rita,

Just read your thing on temperature in Torrance, Ca.
Never been, so don't know, obviously, but are you sure about those figures? I didn't even know humans could live in those...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxPFB  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
English to French
+ ...
celsius/ Sep 15, 2005

Philippe Boucry wrote:

Rita Heller wrote:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Torrance-California.html

Their weather report says it varies from 46 - 78 degrees Centrigade, but being from Los Angeles, I can tell you that it gets a lot hotter than that (95 during heat waves).
It is very smoggy, there is a lot of traffic, etc.

Ask me more specific questions and I will try to answer them.

Good luck!


Hi, Rita,

Just read your thing on temperature in Torrance, Ca.
Never been, so don't know, obviously, but are you sure about those figures? I didn't even know humans could live in those...


Just been to the site you mentioned: I think you meant Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

[Edited at 2005-09-15 15:21]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many years ago... Sep 15, 2005

I grew up in Torrance in the late '40s and 50's. It has changed throughout the years but it is still a good place. The location is good, the climate is very nice year round, and it is also close to the beach. In fact, Torrance has its own strip of beachfront.

The downside it that housing is expensive, probably now a bit more than Michael says. Everything near the coast in California is very expensive.

We lived in central Torrance, which still appears to be a good neighborhood. I think the Del Amo Center, close by, was at one time the largest shopping center in the world. Well, by the time it was built, I was already gone! If you have to drive a long distance on the freeway every day to get to work, that's not life.

So I migrated in another direction. Still I would recommend it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 11:41
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Sep 15, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

I grew up in Torrance in the late '40s and 50's. It has changed throughout the years but it is still a good place. The location is good, the climate is very nice year round, and it is also close to the beach. In fact, Torrance has its own strip of beachfront.

The downside it that housing is expensive, probably now a bit more than Michael says. Everything near the coast in California is very expensive.

We lived in central Torrance, which still appears to be a good neighborhood. I think the Del Amo Center, close by, was at one time the largest shopping center in the world. Well, by the time it was built, I was already gone! If you have to drive a long distance on the freeway every day to get to work, that's not life.

So I migrated in another direction. Still I would recommend it.
I suppose there is an office town or else...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xiaoyanchen
Local time: 01:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
A very nice town Sep 15, 2005

Torrance is a very nice town. $500,000 may not buy you any house nor even a townhome now. But the rent is still relatively cheap. For a nice two-bedroom apartment, the rent can be around $1500 a month. With good environment, school district, and nice weather, and a lot of fun at the beach, the place is still worth the price.

avrvm wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:

I grew up in Torrance in the late '40s and 50's. It has changed throughout the years but it is still a good place. The location is good, the climate is very nice year round, and it is also close to the beach. In fact, Torrance has its own strip of beachfront.

The downside it that housing is expensive, probably now a bit more than Michael says. Everything near the coast in California is very expensive.

We lived in central Torrance, which still appears to be a good neighborhood. I think the Del Amo Center, close by, was at one time the largest shopping center in the world. Well, by the time it was built, I was already gone! If you have to drive a long distance on the freeway every day to get to work, that's not life.

So I migrated in another direction. Still I would recommend it.
I suppose there is an office town or else...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 03:41
French to English
+ ...
Fahrenheit, of course ! Sep 15, 2005

Sorry, Philippe,

of course, it's a good thing you corrected me
no, it is not the planet Mercury

I am constantly converting because my French family asks me about the weather and I make recipes in the metric system, so I get a little confused (or should I say embarrassed?)

The correct numbers should be:

8 - 26 Celsius

heat wave = 35 C

Hope that sounds better!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 11:41
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THAT'S NICE... Sep 16, 2005

Rita Heller wrote:

Sorry, Philippe,

of course, it's a good thing you corrected me
no, it is not the planet Mercury

I am constantly converting because my French family asks me about the weather and I make recipes in the metric system, so I get a little confused (or should I say embarrassed?)

The correct numbers should be:

8 - 26 Celsius

heat wave = 35 C

Hope that sounds better!
THANKS AGAIN!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cost of living at Torrance - LA - California

Advanced search







LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search