Voice-over
Thread poster: xxxMikaele
xxxMikaele
Local time: 13:31
English to French
+ ...
Nov 9, 2005

Hello,

I have heard about linguists offering voice-over services. Would you be so kind as to tell me more about what voice-over is, what equipment is necessary, and if the rate is higher for voice-overs than for translations?

Thanks very much in advance for your help and advice.

Kind regards,

Mikaële

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:31
it depends... Dec 5, 2005

Voice-over work usually takes place in a studio, paid by the hour + travelling/accomodation/food expenses.

I started off as a language monitor, where I would follow the script while the artist was speaking and indicate where to stop/start or where the artist ought to repeat the line again etc.

There is not much demand for doing voice-overs from home, although you can get a microphone for under 20 euro if you want to create online voice samples.

However, you must bear in mind that professional actors get preference to do this kind of work. It is only when the client requires specific accents (etc) and there is no actor available who can provide it, that translators/linguists/native speakers get brought in.

Orla

[Edited at 2005-12-05 16:56]

xxxMikaele
Local time: 13:31
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 5, 2005

Thank you very much Orla for your answer.

Kind regards,

Mikaële

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice-over

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search