https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/39124-getting_into_the_translation_world_as_a_trilingual_assistant.html

Getting into the translation world as a trilingual assistant
Thread poster: Alexandra Bobko
Alexandra Bobko
Alexandra Bobko  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:45
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2005

Dear all,

After getting my Master's Degree in foreign languages (English and German) from the Sorbonne Nouvelle University in Paris, I managed to reach the position of trilingual executive assistant in great companies like Siemens or Merrill Lynch but my passion is translation. I used to translate a lot of business emails in these firms, but don't have any particular experience in this field. I am French, speak German almost as a native (a lot of German people often ask me how I lea
... See more
Dear all,

After getting my Master's Degree in foreign languages (English and German) from the Sorbonne Nouvelle University in Paris, I managed to reach the position of trilingual executive assistant in great companies like Siemens or Merrill Lynch but my passion is translation. I used to translate a lot of business emails in these firms, but don't have any particular experience in this field. I am French, speak German almost as a native (a lot of German people often ask me how I learned it and sometimes if I am actually German) and fluent English (but not irreproachable yet) and lived a year and a half in the UK. I enrolled for the Diploma of Translation from the IoL and will do it next January. I took a distance learning course for that at the beginning of this year, which was good but expensive for the quantity of work needed, so now I am studying by myself. My question is: if I don't get this diploma which, I must assume, is quite unlikely, what could I do to get into the translation world? Do you think that keeping working as a good level assistant could lead me to it if I always try to catch translation tasks within this job or is a qualification and/or experience a must-have?
Thanks in advance!
Alexandra from Paris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting into the translation world as a trilingual assistant

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »