Monica Cecere
Monica Cecere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2005

Dear Collegues,

I was working as a translator in US but now I was relocated in Germany. Can you tell me what I have to do in order to start my freelance business here? I mean taxwise, probably I need a social security number or so and other things. Maybe you can tell me what office I should contact to have this information.

Thanks to everyone

Monica Cecere

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
German to English
Here are a few things ... Nov 30, 2005

1) You have to register with your local tax office "Finanzamt" as a freelancer (freiberuflich - not self-employed= selbstständig)
2) You have to get a VAT number (VAT in Germany= MWST - can't remember how I did that but I am sure it is in the German forum)
3) You have to register your address with the local town hall (anmelden). Everyone has to do that.
4) I strongly recommend you find a local tax advisor/accountant, preferably by referral from a satisfied customer. You have t
... See more
1) You have to register with your local tax office "Finanzamt" as a freelancer (freiberuflich - not self-employed= selbstständig)
2) You have to get a VAT number (VAT in Germany= MWST - can't remember how I did that but I am sure it is in the German forum)
3) You have to register your address with the local town hall (anmelden). Everyone has to do that.
4) I strongly recommend you find a local tax advisor/accountant, preferably by referral from a satisfied customer. You have to pay for their service but it's worth every penny, or rather euro cent. I just ring up mine or go visit him and say, "I have to do this, how do I do it?", e.g. get health insurance, buy a flat, employee someone. He tells me the answers and sometimes does it on my behalf.
5) And of course open a bank account. They will want the proof that you registered with the town hall and that your immigration status is ok.

Hope that helps.
Gillian
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
German to English
First question Nov 30, 2005

What's your nationality?

This is rather important...

Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

starting my job in Germany

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »