Herdis Engels  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2005

Hi!
Recently I moved to Spain, and I am wondering how to declare my income here correctly and how to register, having a "normal" job (with registration in Social Security), but doing part-time translations. Can you be a "part-time freelancer"??? How does that work? Does anyone have similar experiences in Spain? Thanks for all types of information
Sinca

Direct link Reply with quote

Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure... Nov 30, 2005

I think you can not be a "part time freelancer". You can register as freelancer ("Profesional autónomo"), but this can be a little expensive if you dont have a good income from translation.

Scheherezade Suria Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
they are different things Nov 30, 2005

Hi!

Your case is similar to mine. I work as an English teacher in the morning and I translate in the afternoon (like superheroes, who have a double life). Even though I have a contract of employment and my boss pays my social security, this isn't valid to translate. So I have to pay 150 euros on a monthly basis to be a freelancer (because I am under thirty; I reckon the full amount is more than 200) and deal with the income tax return every three months.

Therefore, it doesn't matter whether you are a full or a part-time translator.

Tough life, isn't it?

Herdis Engels  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 1, 2005

Thank you both for your reply. I think I should just go and get professional advise too, to not comit any unforgiveable mistakes concerning social security. It is really a bit unfair to have to pay 2x...
Have a beautiful day! sinca

Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Superheros!! Dec 2, 2005

hehehehehe...! Im a superhero too, Scheherezade. While you rest in the afternoon, I take care of the world... Im also in this situation, translator in the morning (and many nights), and teacher in the afternoon.
However, Im older than 30, and I must pay around 230€ monthly... no matter wether I have translated a word or 500.000. Best luck for you both!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Part-time translating in Spain

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search