Herdis Engels  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2005

Hi!
Recently I moved to Spain, and I am wondering how to declare my income here correctly and how to register, having a "normal" job (with registration in Social Security), but doing part-time translations. Can you be a "part-time freelancer"??? How does that work? Does anyone have similar experiences in Spain? Thanks for all types of information
Sinca

Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure... Nov 30, 2005

I think you can not be a "part time freelancer". You can register as freelancer ("Profesional autónomo"), but this can be a little expensive if you dont have a good income from translation.

Scheherezade Suria Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
they are different things Nov 30, 2005

Hi!

Your case is similar to mine. I work as an English teacher in the morning and I translate in the afternoon (like superheroes, who have a double life). Even though I have a contract of employment and my boss pays my social security, this isn't valid to translate. So I have to pay 150 euros on a monthly basis to be a freelancer (because I am under thirty; I reckon the full amount is more than 200) and deal with the income tax return every three months.

Therefore, it doesn't matter whether you are a full or a part-time translator.

Tough life, isn't it?

Herdis Engels  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 1, 2005

Thank you both for your reply. I think I should just go and get professional advise too, to not comit any unforgiveable mistakes concerning social security. It is really a bit unfair to have to pay 2x...
Have a beautiful day!icon_smile.gif sinca

Francisco Bolaños  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Superheros!! Dec 2, 2005

hehehehehe...!icon_biggrin.gif Im a superhero too, Scheherezade.icon_smile.gif While you rest in the afternoon, I take care of the world... Im also in this situation, translator in the morning (and many nights), and teacher in the afternoon.
However, Im older than 30, and I must pay around 230€ monthlyicon_frown.gif... no matter wether I have translated a word or 500.000. Best luck for you both!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Part-time translating in Spain

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search