Looking for top T&I MA programs in the States, pls HELP
Thread poster: LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:28
Jan 6, 2006

Hello everyone, I'm graduating this September from MSC State University in Poland, and I strongly consider continuing my education in the States. Can anyone pls share their knowledge about TOP T&I MA programs in the States? I was thinking about Monterey Institute, but after giving it a second thought...not so sure anymore...
I need to be able to study Russian there (EN-RU T&I).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:28
German to English
+ ...
I don't want to discourage you, but Jan 6, 2006

do you know how expensive it is to attend a university in the US?
The Monterey Language Institute has an excellent reputation, but you have to pay through the nose! I don't remember the exact price, but I was floored when I read it: If I recall correctly, about $30,000 a year, but I could be remembering wrong. But it's expensive any way you look at it.

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Under our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding.

If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

Of course if you're rich, it's not a problem.

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:35]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Very expensive and probably not value for money Jan 6, 2006

Absolutely.
My son was wanting to apply for an American uni and we were staggered at how much it costs (we are by no means poor but this was outrageous).
My brother is a US resident and he was totally negative about it too, saying that the quality of education offered did not justify the cost, and that a good European uni was the best bet.
So you have a specific reason for wishing to study Russian in America????
Angela



Woodstock wrote:

do you know how expensive it is to attend a university in the US?
The Monterey Language Institute has an excellent reputation, but you have to pay through the nose! I don't remember the exact price, but I was floored when I read it: If I recall correctly, about $30,000 a year, but I could be remembering wrong. But it's expensive any way you look at it.

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Thanks to our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding. ...... If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

Of course if you're rich, it's not a problem.


[Edited at 2006-01-06 18:58]

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:03]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:28
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your comments Jan 6, 2006

Yes, I am aware of the costs, it's around $37,000 a year, but I'm looking forward to take a loan if it's necessary. The reason I want to study Russian in the USA, is that I want to practice both languages. My English is much better than my Russian (Polish being my native language), plus I studied in the States already, so I know the environment etc...
But let's say I eventually end up in Europe. In this case, what would you recommend? Any decent schools? I was thinking about Westinster, but they are also expensive. Maybe the Netherlands?









Angela Arnone wrote:

Absolutely.
My son was wanting to apply for an American uni and we were staggered at how much it costs (we are by no means poor but this was outrageous).
My brother is a US resident and he was totally negative about it too, saying that the quality of education offered did not justify the cost, and that a good European uni was the best bet.
So you have a specific reason for wishing to study Russian in America????
Angela



Woodstock wrote:

do you know how expensive it is to attend a university in the US?
The Monterey Language Institute has an excellent reputation, but you have to pay through the nose! I don't remember the exact price, but I was floored when I read it: If I recall correctly, about $30,000 a year, but I could be remembering wrong. But it's expensive any way you look at it.

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Thanks to our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding. ...... If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

Of course if you're rich, it's not a problem.


[Edited at 2006-01-06 18:58]

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:03]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not only the school Jan 8, 2006

Yes, MIIS is expensive, and so is the cost of housing in that area. I know, I spend part of my time there, but I don't have to pay rent. If I did I could not afford it.

But if you can come up with the money, it is nice.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxsarahl
Local time: 05:28
English to French
+ ...
MIIS Jan 8, 2006

Well, as a graduate I can tell you it's worth every penny, at least for French-English.

However, it is NOT a language school. They teach translation and interpretation techniques, not the language. You have to demonstrate high-level proficiency in all your working languages as part of the admission process.

It is expensive, I agree, but no more than other graduate programs in top schools. Have you researched scholarships, grants and the like?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:28
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx:) Jan 9, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Well, as a graduate I can tell you it's worth every penny, at least for French-English.

However, it is NOT a language school. They teach translation and interpretation techniques, not the language. You have to demonstrate high-level proficiency in all your working languages as part of the admission process.

It is expensive, I agree, but no more than other graduate programs in top schools. Have you researched scholarships, grants and the like?




yup, I did some research on grants, scholarships and loans, and if I get a loan plus a scholarship( this one I'm more confident about) I think I'll be fine. I know that the loan needs to be paid back, but I really have a strong desire to study what I love, and this is T&I


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for top T&I MA programs in the States, pls HELP

Advanced search







WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search