https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/41326-should_you_show_translation_and_original_or_only_translation_on_your_website.html

Should you show translation and original or only translation on your website?
Thread poster: Belle Schwarz (X)
Belle Schwarz (X)
Belle Schwarz (X)
Local time: 04:27
German to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2006

When you post your translations on a website, (to show your work and skills) is it enough to post just the translations or is it better to also post the originals?

oscar mojon saa
oscar mojon saa  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
original and translation on a CD Jan 14, 2006

When you have the written consent from your client -the translation agency or the direct client- it is better to show the original together with your translated version. You can even highlight the difficult points in the translation process.

But I think a better idea is to offer a CD with sample translations to all your prospective clients (i.e., in trade shows), or you can get more professional exposure by offering a free copy of your CD to the companies registering at your website
... See more
When you have the written consent from your client -the translation agency or the direct client- it is better to show the original together with your translated version. You can even highlight the difficult points in the translation process.

But I think a better idea is to offer a CD with sample translations to all your prospective clients (i.e., in trade shows), or you can get more professional exposure by offering a free copy of your CD to the companies registering at your website.
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Both is better, if you can Jan 15, 2006

Nice to see you back, Belle!
On proz you have a place where you can post both the original and the translation, so I recommend you do that.
Posting a piece of translated text without source is less effective if the prospective client wants to check your work to see what you are capable of.
Angela

oscar mojon saa wrote:

But I think a better idea is to offer a CD with sample translations to all your prospective clients (i.e., in trade shows), or you can get more professional exposure by offering a free copy of your CD to the companies registering at your website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should you show translation and original or only translation on your website?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »