how much do you take...
Thread poster: N,i,k,a
N,i,k,a
N,i,k,a
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

well, I'm still a student of translation in Germany and I have to say that little is told there as to the REAL LIFE of translators...

So I ask you: how much can you ask for "simple" translations... How is it calculated (words? signs? pages?....)

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dear N,i,k,a Feb 15, 2006

Welcome to proz,
I can tell you that translations are charged by keystroke, by word and by line length.
Usually not by page as a page doesn't really have a definite length.
How much you can charge depends on many factors, so this isn't the right place for people to tell you what the "best rate" is.
If someone translating the same language pairs as you wants to offer advice, they might like to right to you privately.
Regards
Angela - moderator

N,i,k,a wrote:

well, I'm still a student of translation in Germany and I have to say that little is told there as to the REAL LIFE of translators...

So I ask you: how much can you ask for "simple" translations... How is it calculated (words? signs? pages?....)

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:40
... Feb 15, 2006

Is there any chance you can ask your teachers to discuss this kind of thing in class and perhaps suggest to them that they invite a "real-life" translator to come in and talk to your class about the nuts & bolts of the profession.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Very good suggestion Feb 15, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:
Is there any chance you can ask your teachers to discuss this kind of thing in class and perhaps suggest to them that they invite a "real-life" translator to come in and talk to your class about the nuts & bolts of the profession.

Totally agree with Orla. Your classmates will be interested in this question, too (as well as other questions regarding "the real life" as a translator). So why not ask your teacher to talk about it in class or invite a professional translator whom you can ask questions.

I know that in the Germersheim uni some of the lecturers are very ambitious to inform their students about these things. There is a "Existenzgründerseminar" once a year (I think) as well as other events where students get the chance to ask questions.

Stefanie

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:40
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Correction Feb 16, 2006

As per previous comment about a page, a page is 250 words, either target or source. I am told that is meaningful in German, which like Hebrew, is quite word efficient. How you count it depends on the software and client. I use the Word count because clients have access to it, but they say the count software is better for translators.

In short, I charge translation by page (target in my case) and editing by hour.

I hope that helps.

Stephen Rifkind
... See more
As per previous comment about a page, a page is 250 words, either target or source. I am told that is meaningful in German, which like Hebrew, is quite word efficient. How you count it depends on the software and client. I use the Word count because clients have access to it, but they say the count software is better for translators.

In short, I charge translation by page (target in my case) and editing by hour.

I hope that helps.

Stephen Rifkind
Hebrew/Russian/French to English
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how much do you take...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »