best master's degree programs in US and UK??
Thread poster: Andrea Rosenberg
Andrea Rosenberg
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2006

Hi, everyone. I've recently decided to pursue a translation degree from Spanish to English. All the translations I've done in the past have been English to Spanish, but I feel like it makes more sense to translate to my native language. I want to do a master's instead of a certificate because I am truly fascinated by nuances of language and by theories of language and translation.

At any rate, in trying to search for graduate programs I am having a hard time getting good information. In the US translation is not a major field of study, and I haven't been able to find out which of the few programs there are are the most challenging, successful ones. And I have no idea what programs in the UK might have a good reputation.

Can anyone help me out with mentions of graduate programs in either country generally recognized for quality? Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:13
Russian to English
+ ...
Break open your piggybank! Feb 28, 2006

But it's one of the best programs in the US.

http://www.miis.edu/

This has come up before. You'll find some good info here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/22423

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Local time: 03:13
Italian to English
+ ...
Monterey Institute Is The Name Feb 28, 2006

Kurt Porter wrote:

But it's one of the best programs in the US.

http://www.miis.edu/

This has come up before. You'll find some good info here:

http://www.proz.com/topic/22423

Kurt is right on all accounts. Of all such schools/programs in the US, the MIIS has the "biggest name", and a price tag to match I suspect. Though it really is a beautiful place at least in terms of geography.

I think the best masters program is real experience, and there are probably text books you can study on your own for the academic interest. If you already have experience, is it really necessary to spend tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, for a piece of paper from a "name"? Of course, if you are an EU citizen, you will get better treatment, at least in monetary terms, from a UK institution, so it is certainly worthwhile to concentrate your search there.

All the best

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In UK, Imperial College Feb 28, 2006

Imperial College has a high reputation world-wide in science, technology and medicine, and they do a postgraduate course in translation focusing on these areas - hence the unwieldy title of
MSc in Scientific, Technical and Medical Translation with Translation Technology
(and that also explains why it is a Master of Science degree rather than an MA). Incidentally, Spanish is one of their main languages. The college itself is in an attractive part of London, though squeeze into a comparatively small area, right next to some of the major museums.

Let me declare an interest - I did the course a couple years ago, and found it very challenging, interesting and above all vocational - there is, (as implied by the title), a lot of emphasis on translation technology, but the course is wide-ranging, and the actual translation sessions are run by working translators.

This course certainly enabled me to set up a successful freelance translation business.

See: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/p4629.htm

Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:43
English to Marathi
+ ...
Just another suggestion Feb 28, 2006

You can try India Also. Because in India overall education - teaching and learning is high level with good English as a medium of learning. Also education is not much costly. The teachers are dedicated.

Do come to India for higher education.

Andrea Rosenberg
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update... Feb 28, 2006

Thanks for the replies so far! I realized after I had posted that I should have mentioned that I am particularly interested in literary translation--I've been a straight humanities gal all the way--and would like a program that focuses on that, or at least doesn't focus too much on technical translation. I would like to figure out (or have you generous people figure out for me) what the top 3 or 4 programs are in the two countries so that I can narrow my focus a little.
I am a US citizen, so any clues as to what my chances of getting a decently economical education in the UK are would be appreciated!
I don't have any professional translation experience at all, just translations for friends: subtitles of their movies, translations of their writings, as a way to practice. As far as the cost of the programs go, I am truly interested in studying translation, not just in working as a translator. I will abandon that philosophy if the cost looks like it's going to be outrageous and try another way, but at the moment I am looking for a master's degree.
Thanks for all the advice! More welcome!
Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best master's degree programs in US and UK??

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search