Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Good sources of volunteer/ pro bono translation work?
Thread poster: Rebecca Freed
Rebecca Freed
Rebecca Freed  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
French to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2002

I\'d like to do some volunteer translating while I prepare to sit for the ATA certification exam. I\'m interested in gaining experience and recommendations, *not* undercutting other working translators on paying jobs. I found a mention of Traducteurs san frontieres in an older post, which seems like one place to start. Does anyone know of other clearinghouses for translation volunteers?
[addsig]

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
non-profit translation Aug 6, 2002

there are quite a few organizations (children and handicapped) that would welcome your contribution.

I have worked for a few of them (still do), let me know if you are interested!

Rgds,

Pilar

Malak Laroussi

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Feed back is what you need Aug 6, 2002

Hi Rebecca

I understand your position and you\'re very clever specifying that it\'s not to take other\'s job. But the problem is that if you don\'t have any feed back -and I think in this kind of association you won\'t have- you won\'t improve.

I\'ll give you the advice I was given by a member of ProZ some months ago : contact translators who work in your pairs and offer collaboration. They proofread your translations and you improve. Of course, this has a price. B
... See more
Hi Rebecca

I understand your position and you\'re very clever specifying that it\'s not to take other\'s job. But the problem is that if you don\'t have any feed back -and I think in this kind of association you won\'t have- you won\'t improve.

I\'ll give you the advice I was given by a member of ProZ some months ago : contact translators who work in your pairs and offer collaboration. They proofread your translations and you improve. Of course, this has a price. But your work too.

I\'m very thankfull to the person who told me this and to the person who accepted to give me a hand and has really made a teacher job.

If you don\'t find such a person you could contact or create a team.

Good luck
Collapse

Malak Laroussi

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Improving Aug 6, 2002

What Claudia says is very true.

I have worked with a few translators whom I have \'helped\' in this way and are now \'full-fledged translators\'. I find one of the most important aspects of translation work is doing research. Other translators are very useful in tracking down specific information. For example, the Europa web site which for me is essential.

Good luck!

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are two things Aug 6, 2002

If you just wish to improve your translation skills and by the way start making good working contacts what Claudia says is perfectly right and probably a wonderful opportunity this community may provide you.

However, if you wish to widen your experience and develop some of your skills while helping people in need, I just saw an add today in a translators\'jobs list [jobs-trans]that might be of your interest or of that of someone else :

\"Hello
... See more
If you just wish to improve your translation skills and by the way start making good working contacts what Claudia says is perfectly right and probably a wonderful opportunity this community may provide you.

However, if you wish to widen your experience and develop some of your skills while helping people in need, I just saw an add today in a translators\'jobs list [jobs-trans]that might be of your interest or of that of someone else :

\"Hello

Fundación con Ganas de Vivir AC with HQ in Mexico City is looking for

volunteer translators for the Eng Spa Lat Am pair to cooperate with us

translating medical texts to keep the website updated to provide information

and support for the financially challenged cancer patients.

If you need more information write to [email protected]

Thank you\"

Collapse

Rebecca Freed
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All great suggestions, thank you! Aug 6, 2002

Claudia\'s right, feedback is an important component of gaining experience. Looking for opportunities to collaborate with more experienced translators seems like a very good idea.

Salmonmj
Salmonmj  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
English to French
Mentors a better choice Aug 7, 2002

Hello everyone,

Not only is Claudia right (Hi Claudia )), but unfortunately, non-profit assoc. in need of your pro bono work precisely do not have the means to pay a proofreader, and usually most everyone involved or working for one has a pretty heavy load to carry i.e. no time for proofreading. This said, you can ask them for the more general and easier texts. TSF will give you a short test.

I can give you contacts.... See more
Hello everyone,

Not only is Claudia right (Hi Claudia )), but unfortunately, non-profit assoc. in need of your pro bono work precisely do not have the means to pay a proofreader, and usually most everyone involved or working for one has a pretty heavy load to carry i.e. no time for proofreading. This said, you can ask them for the more general and easier texts. TSF will give you a short test.

I can give you contacts.

Cheers,

Marie-Jeanne

Cheers,

Marie-Jeanne
Collapse

Salmonmj
Salmonmj  Identity Verified
English to French
what was that smiley!? Aug 7, 2002

I don\'t make faces like that!

I\'ll write it then:

smiles,

Marie-Jeanne

Rebecca Freed
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci! Aug 7, 2002

Des bons conseils encore!

Je vous envoyerai un courrier electronique ce soir pour faire une enquête sur vos contacts.

Je pense que l\'experience vaille la peine, même sans feed-back.

Quote:

unfortunately, non-profit assoc. in need of your pro bono work precisely do not have the means to pay a proofreader, and usually most everyone involved or working for one has a pretty heavy load to c... See more
Des bons conseils encore!

Je vous envoyerai un courrier electronique ce soir pour faire une enquête sur vos contacts.

Je pense que l\'experience vaille la peine, même sans feed-back.

Quote:

unfortunately, non-profit assoc. in need of your pro bono work precisely do not have the means to pay a proofreader, and usually most everyone involved or working for one has a pretty heavy load to carry i.e. no time for proofreading. This said, you can ask them for the more general and easier texts. TSF will give you a short test.

I can give you contacts.

Cheers,

Marie-Jeanne

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-16 00:11 ]Collapse

Rebecca Freed
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plenty of volunteer work via the Web, it seems. Aug 7, 2002

When I searched the Web via Google for \"volunteer translators\" and \"translation volunteers\" I found plenty of hits--some even for organizations I\'d want to donate my time to.

I admit I\'m a little surprised that working translators would have the time and motivation to coach a newbie, but I\'m grateful.

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Looking for team-work... Aug 8, 2002

Hallo everybody, beginners and pros!

Like Rebecca, I\'m new to the field. I agree that feedback from a professional is the best way to learn. Nevertheless, by doing volunteer work you also learn a lot: about your limits, your self-organisation, your ability in looking for information and, generally, you get the feeling of \"how it is like to be a translator\".

It took me some time to find the right organisations, but it was well-spent time. I\'ve helped p
... See more
Hallo everybody, beginners and pros!

Like Rebecca, I\'m new to the field. I agree that feedback from a professional is the best way to learn. Nevertheless, by doing volunteer work you also learn a lot: about your limits, your self-organisation, your ability in looking for information and, generally, you get the feeling of \"how it is like to be a translator\".

It took me some time to find the right organisations, but it was well-spent time. I\'ve helped people for a good purpose and I enriched my CV.

A good place to look for more information is: www.idealist.com . Have a look at it.

Now the other aspect: mentors.

I agree with Rebecca when she says that many pros won\'t probably \"waste\" their time with a beginner (apart from giving some suggestions). I would really like to give a part of my income to an experienced and serious colleague if he/she proofreads what I\'ve written or, even better, allows me to work in his/her team.

But how do I find out who is willing to offer this collaboration? Claudia\'s suggestion is perfectly sound, but after having selected the people working with my language-pair and my subject should I just contact all of them and see if they are interested or not?

Is there any other way? I\'ve taken a look at some teams, but nowhere was written that they offered collaboration.

Thanks a lot and good luck (especially to those most in need of it)!

Ciao

Gianfranco
Collapse

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Want to offer Volunteer translation? Aug 30, 2002

www.UnitedPlanet.org needs volunteer support!

We just translated it into Chinese, free-of-charge, if you think you are available to volunteer translate it into your language, contact the founder.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Haiti relief effort - pro bono translation, various languages Feb 27, 2010

There is a discussion ongoing in the MT forum that may be of interest:

http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/100328-machine_translation:_your_experience_with_the_various_mt_programmes_state_of_play-page4.html#1337395

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
The Rosetta Foundation Apr 30, 2010

Hello,

The Rosetta Foundation also needs help !

http://www.therosettafoundation.or

Best regards,

Mohamed

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 30, 2010

I used to do stuff for Amnesty International in the UK. The microfinance website Kiva uses volunteers. They don't have any vacancies at the moment, but they say you're welcome to register for future work.
http://www.kiva.org/about/translationFAQ

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good sources of volunteer/ pro bono translation work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »