Proofreading rates
Thread poster: ASA
ASA  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2006

I know this is a tough one and depends on the language in question, subject area and quality of translation, but as a general guide how much would you charge for proofing per 1000 words?

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Anyone kind enough to reply with actual rates should do so in private Mar 27, 2006

Otherwise just indications are fine.
TIA

ASA wrote:

.... how much would you charge for proofing per 1000 words?

[Edited at 2006-03-27 18:42]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Range Mar 27, 2006

Maximum: your translation rate for 2000 words.
If the text is so badly "translated" that it is really like a text written in the source language using words in the target language, then the effort required to "proofread" it is equivalent to backtranslating to the source language, then translating properly to the target language. This is in effect, a double translation.

Minimum: Your hourly-based rate for the time required to read 1000 words.
If the text is so good that it can be proofread in about the same time that would be required to simply read it (almost no errors, and any that exist are easily corrected), then the price for proofreading can be based on an hourly rate.

How much should you charge per hour? Your hourly rate should be based on your own per-word rate. How many words can you translate in an hour (including file processing, researching terms and proofreading your own work)? In my case, my hourly rate is 300 words.

ASA  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 27, 2006

Thank you so much for your reply which was most helpful.
I usually charge an hourly rate but this was a slightly different situation so I wasn't sure how to calculate it!

Once again, thanks for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
1/3 Mar 27, 2006

See http://www.proz.com/pro/7599

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading rates

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search