"Will work for experience" :) Need advice.
Thread poster: Oleg Rybin

Oleg Rybin
Local time: 15:30
English to Russian
Apr 9, 2006

Hi all!

I'm new - both to the site and to the profession.

I would really like to work as a freelance translator, but having worked as a freelance graphic designer for some time I know that few people would hire someone who has no provable experience or examples of work.

So, here's my question:

what is the best way to get the necessary experience?

Of course, I understand that making money should not be my main concern at this stage, so I will gladly consider volunteering.
Especially if we're talking about some respectable organisation with a good cause

Does someone know any particular organisation that might trust a beginner with some kind of translation work?

Any other suggestion and advice on how to act in this situation are also extremely welcome!

Thanks!
Oleg.

Direct link Reply with quote

vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Lots of organizations need your help Apr 10, 2006

Your writing is so flawless, that I'm not sure if you're a native English or Russian speaker. Either way, there are plenty of organizations that could use your help, if you'd like to build up your translation portfolio, and do a good deed in the meantime. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Transparency International, and I could probably come up with 30 more, if need be. Basically, if you want to get experience to put on your CV for translating, the best way is to do a good deed, offer your services to non-profits for free, do some impressive work, then join the translation association in your area, and put your volunteer work with big organizations as your experience (nobody has to know that it was for free). I'm a full member of Proz, and support them and think it's a great service, but most of my work has come from being an ATA member (American Translators Association). So join whatever translators' association you have in your neck of the woods, do some volunteer work, and you'll be guaranteed a place in the sky, and probably a little bit of money, eventually, to boot.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it's going.

Vera

Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
Translators without frontiers? Apr 10, 2006

I am sure that some time ago there was a NGO called "Translators without frontiers". Before posting this reply, I did a Google search and, unfortunately, I could not find it. Probably someone can help with the URL. I remember having read its headquarters were in France.

Good luck!

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
Translators without borders Apr 10, 2006

Marcela, you were looking for this site:
http://www.tsf-twb.org/

Best regards,

Christine

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:30
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2006

[Edited at 2006-04-10 17:35]

Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
Thanks Christine! Apr 10, 2006

Then I should have "googled" in French!
Thanks!
I hope this helps "olegry".
Best.

Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2006

[Edited at 2006-04-10 17:35]

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Volunteering for NGOs Apr 10, 2006

Maya provides some valuable insights, but I would support Vera's suggestion. Most of my work is related to international development, and I am aware of the problems that exist in this field. True, there are abuses. However, what matters to me personally is what contribution, however small, I can make to help the causes that a particular organization promotes. There is not much we can do about these abuses, so I choose to focus on the positive, on things that make me feel that my work is meaningful.

When I became interested in international development, I started by doing volunteer work, not so much to put these projects on my CV, but rather to gain some experience and knowledge of this field. In addition to gaining the necessary experience, as a volunteer translator you may also find that this kind of work can be deeply satisfying.

Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2006

[Edited at 2006-04-10 17:34]

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Depends on how you look at it Apr 10, 2006

Maya Jurt wrote:

True enough. If you can afford it.

But a lot of freelance translators are single (female) parents with children or women with a jobless or underpaid husband, often living in a country with an emerging economy. They need to make a living. ASK CEI states translators how much NGOs and international charity organizations pay for interpreting and translations: The rates are "local" and a shame (when they pay)!

As a woman living in a developing country and paying my way through college, I agree that translation rates are a shame (I am paid by local rates). I think it depends on how you look at it. For me some things are more valuable than money. Job satisfaction is one of these things

P.S. I don't think that local translation rates in emerging economies are of much relevance to Oleg's question.

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Exactly - let's stay on topic Apr 10, 2006

I fully appreciate the contents of the posts leading up to Marina's PS, but that being said, we need to stay on topic for Oleg.
Other issues can be broached in appropriate forums with appropriate threadss.
TIA
Angela

Marina Khonina wrote:
P.S. I don't think that local translation rates in emerging economies are of much relevance to Oleg's question.

Oleg Rybin
Local time: 15:30
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for being so helpful! Apr 10, 2006

I'll keep you posted If there's any progress.
Meanwhile, if someone comes up with more ideas...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Will work for experience" :) Need advice.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search