Thread poster: juliacgs

juliacgs  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2006

Hello everyone,

I’m a Spanish freelance translator and I’m currently living in Madrid, but this next summer, my boyfriend has to go to US, to work at the Arizona State University (Tempe) for the three months of summer (from July to September: in total, less than 3 months) and I'm going to go with him.

Of course, I want to continue my activity as a freelance translator while I’m there, so I wonder if you could give me some tips about which kind of legal requirements I need to fulfil in order to have no problems with the American administration (or any other kind of tips you may think of!). I intend to continue working for my current employers and, why not, I would like to do networking when I'm there, but on a freelance basis, given that I’m not going to stay there for a long time...

Thank you all for your help!!! Happy Easter!!!

Julia

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not to worry Apr 16, 2006

Just do it, everyone esle does.

But be warned, the temperature there is 40`C - 45`C in the summer. Can you stand the heat? That's the worry!

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
German to English
+ ...
No work visa for short trip Apr 17, 2006

You're just doing some work while on a three-month vacation to the US, so I don't see any problem or necessity for a work visa, if that's what you're asking. If I took my laptop with me on a three-month beach vacation somewhere, I wouldn't expect to have to report that to the authorities.

Have fun on your trip!

[Edited at 2006-04-17 14:19]

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Check with nearest US Consulate or Embassy Apr 17, 2006

Hi - you don't need a work permit, but you might need a tourist visa. The Germans don't need one if the stay is less than 3 months, but I don't know about other countries. Just make sure what is required before you get on the plane, so there are no unpleasant surprises!

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your replies! Apr 18, 2006

Yes, I guess you are right: I’ll just have to take the required administrative steps to go simply on holidays to US, and my freelance job doesn't have to be relevant for US authorities. Yes, I have read the information of the US Spanish embassy and I think the system is the same for Spain and for Germany… I still have lots of questions (for example, the information says that one of the requirements is to demonstrate that I’m “solvent enough”… And I don't exactly know which documents are needed for that...), but I hope I will manage to sort things out…

Well, about Arizona weather, I guess it will be quite hard to get used to being all the time at 40 ºC. Madrid summers are quite hot too (we can sometimes reach 42-43 ºC, but that’s not constant…)… Let’s hope we will find a suitable accommodation with air conditioning though…

I still have one question related to my travel, but this one is a bit out of the topic of getting established… If I have the opportunity, I would like to make some kind of summer course at Tempe University while I'm there, but I’m not quite sure of how they work summer courses at US university… Is there something similar to the European concept of summer course? (A complete and closed course of one of two weeks about an specific topic, not necessarily language-related)…I looked the ASU web page, but I cannot find anything similar...

Well, I thank you again for your answers and your help!

Julia

Germany
German to English
+ ...
US / Arizona Apr 20, 2006

Julia Gómez-Sáez wrote:

... I still have lots of questions (for example, the information says that one of the requirements is to demonstrate that I’m “solvent enough”… And I don't exactly know which documents are needed for that...), but I hope I will manage to sort things out…

Well, about Arizona weather, I guess it will be quite hard to get used to being all the time at 40 ºC. Madrid summers are quite hot too (we can sometimes reach 42-43 ºC, but that’s not constant…)… Let’s hope we will find a suitable accommodation with air conditioning though…

I still have one question related to my travel, but this one is a bit out of the topic of getting established… If I have the opportunity, I would like to make some kind of summer course at Tempe University while I'm there, but I’m not quite sure of how they work summer courses at US university… Is there something similar to the European concept of summer course? (A complete and closed course of one of two weeks about an specific topic, not necessarily language-related)…I looked the ASU web page, but I cannot find anything similar...

Julia

Hi again, Julia!

Your three issues:
1. Solvency / visa requirements
Take care of the solvency issue well in advance, it could take some time. Since 9/11 the immigration authorities are much more concerned than before about foreign nationals just staying in the US illegally. I urge you to deal with this matter soon.

2. Weather in Arizona

EVERYTHING in Arizona is air-conditioned. One thing you probably know already from Spain: never go anywhere without a generous supply of water. The heat in Arizona is very dry, so you don't sweat noticeably and can dehydrate quickly. This is especially important when travelling in remote, sparsely populated regions. There are lots of interesting websites on Arizona, many wonderful things to see and do there. It's my favorite state, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
US / Arizona Apr 20, 2006

Julia Gómez-Sáez wrote:

... I still have lots of questions (for example, the information says that one of the requirements is to demonstrate that I’m “solvent enough”… And I don't exactly know which documents are needed for that...), but I hope I will manage to sort things out…

Julia

Hi again, Julia!

Your three issues:
1. Solvency / visa requirements
Take care of the solvency issue well in advance, it could take some time. Since 9/11 the immigration authorities are much more concerned than before about foreign nationals just staying in the US illegally. I urge you to deal with this matter soon.

2. Weather in Arizona

EVERYTHING in Arizona is air-conditioned. One thing you probably know already from Spain: never go anywhere without a generous supply of water. The heat in Arizona is very dry, so you don't sweat noticeably and can dehydrate quickly. This is especially important when travelling in remote, sparsely populated regions. There are lots of interesting websites on Arizona, many wonderful things to see and do there. It's my favorite state, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

3. Summer Courses

Summer courses at US universities are often self-contained. It could be, however, that the summers are too hot in Tempe to hold courses. I would recommend e-mailing the university directly and asking if they have a summer program.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
And also ask them in you need a student visa... Apr 20, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

3. Summer Courses

Summer courses at US universities are often self-contained. It could be, however, that the summers are too hot in Tempe to hold courses. I would recommend e-mailing the university directly and asking if they have a summer program.

I know it is not needed for most summer courses (like languages) but, as Woodstock points out, things have changed a lot since 9/11, and it would be wise to ask beforehand.

[Edited at 2006-04-20 14:47]

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again for your replies! Apr 23, 2006

Again, you're right!!! I will pay attention to your comments.

I will have to make an elaborate research (I wouldn't like to have last-minute surprises, as Rosa Maria points out), but now I'm not so worried about visas, as to find some course that might interest me... The annoying thing is that I'm sure that when I will be there, I will find thousands of interesting things to do, and then, I won't be able to register, because of my tourist visa...

The other problem we are having just now is about the search for accommodation... The university just offers help for accommodation to students, so my boyfriend doesn't fall on that category... On one hand, there are lots of apartments, but most of them don't offer leases for just a short period of time (three months) and, surprisingly, they are not easy to be contacted, for example, by Internet (most of them just have a phone number, and that is all!). On the other hand, we have begun reading on forums about the different apartments, and it's just scary!!! There are all kinds of stories about giant cokroaches, scorpion pests, scary neibourhoods, cars robbed (that seems to be a constant in Phoenix, from what I have read), and even murders and shootings!! I feel, reading all this, that it would be better to search for an apartment in situ, to form my own opinion, but I'm not sure whether when going there, without planification, we will find an apartment... (After all, our budget is not so generous as to allow us to stay in a hotel if we don't find an apartment!)... It seems quite difficult to find accommodation anywhere in the world without help on the spot... (Does anyone know Tempe or Phoenix as to advice me???)

Well, I stop here (I suppose you will be quite bored of reading my doubts about the matter!), but I thank you all (Henry, Daina, Rosa María and Woodstock) for your support!

Julia

xxxsarahl
Local time: 11:45
English to French
+ ...
Tempe university Apr 24, 2006

their website is www.asu.edu, that's probably your best bet. I just checked, they do have summer programs, but you have to enroll ahead of time.

You could also play it by ear, just go to the admissions office once you're there, see what's available.

Arizona is wonderful in the summer, enjoy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips about traveling to US

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search