Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: I am a beginner and feel lost
Thread poster: Malgorzata Tichoruk
Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
Local time: 03:13
English to Polish
Apr 19, 2006

I finally got my courage to change my career and do what I know would give me the most pleasure. But the more I research, the harder I try, the more lost I feel. Should I give up?

Direct link Reply with quote

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
of course not! Apr 20, 2006

Maybe I am not the right person who should give you advice
as I am nearly a newbie but DON'T give up!
There were many topics about this problem so have a look for them: be optimistic and patient. Your first job is about to come.

Break your leg!

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Be patient Apr 20, 2006

Hi!

Becoming established as a freelancer can be discouraging and tough, but with patience and perseverance, you will achieve your goals.

You can start by reading in the ProZ forum and article knowledge base (look under the Community tab above). You will learn a lot about approaches to getting more customers and better rates over time. I've been a translator for years and years, but usually parallel or within the scope of some kind of other job. Joining Proz when I decided to focus more on freelance translation a few months ago was a very smart move, and I've learned a lot by participating in KudoZ, the forum, etc.

Good luck!

Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
From a fellow newbie Apr 20, 2006

Malgorzata Tichoruk wrote:

I finally got my courage to change my career and do what I know would give me the most pleasure. But the more I research, the harder I try, the more lost I feel. Should I give up?

Hi Malgorzata,

I am also relatively new to the business, and I remember feeling exactly like you feel at one point. Now I have more than enough work coming in and it feels like the best and most important decision I ever made.

Some advice:

At first I was applying for work in the traditional way. My CV was structured as though I was applying for a job and my applications had a "give me a chance and I will prove myself" approach. I don't know if this is what you are doing, but for me it didn't work particularly well.

After much time spent reseaching the industry, I realised that a more business-like approach was necessary. Basically, you are providing a professional service using your unique skills, and this service has to be marketed, just like the products or services of any other kind of business. Adapt your CV so that it becomes more of a a "translator's profile", and perfect the language you use in your applications and profile so that potential clients are presented with an attractive business proposition. Make your proposal to as many agencies as you can (it's much easier to get work through agencies to start off).

Good luck!

Simon

Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 20, 2006

Rita Bilancio wrote:

Maybe I am not the right person who should give you advice
as I am nearly a newbie but DON'T give up!
There were many topics about this problem so have a look for them: be optimistic and patient. Your first job is about to come.

Break your leg!

Rita, thank you so much Any type of support is what I need now!!! Maybe it is also the coming spring...

Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
establish Woodstock Apr 20, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

Hi!

Becoming established as a freelancer can be discouraging and tough, but with patience and perseverance, you will achieve your goals.

You can start by reading in the ProZ forum and article knowledge base (look under the Community tab above). You will learn a lot about approaches to getting more customers and better rates over time. I've been a translator for years and years, but usually parallel or within the scope of some kind of other job. Joining Proz when I decided to focus more on freelance translation a few months ago was a very smart move, and I've learned a lot by participating in KudoZ, the forum, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks Woodstock, I will set out by spending heaps of time on Proz and Kudoz! And slowly I should get there. By the way, I know you must have heard that dozens of times, but WOODSTOCK...!!!! He he, sweat

Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the tip Apr 20, 2006

Simon Bruni wrote:

Hi Malgorzata,

I am also relatively new to the business, and I remember feeling exactly like you feel at one point. Now I have more than enough work coming in and it feels like the best and most important decision I ever made.

Some advice:

At first I was applying for work in the traditional way. My CV was structured as though I was applying for a job and my applications had a "give me a chance and I will prove myself" approach. I don't know if this is what you are doing, but for me it didn't work particularly well.

After much time spent reseaching the industry, I realised that a more business-like approach was necessary. Basically, you are providing a professional service using your unique skills, and this service has to be marketed, just like the products or services of any other kind of business. Adapt your CV so that it becomes more of a a "translator's profile", and perfect the language you use in your applications and profile so that potential clients are presented with an attractive business proposition. Make your proposal to as many agencies as you can (it's much easier to get work through agencies to start off).

Good luck!

Simon

Thank you Simon! It is so encouraging to receive advice and support from people who once were where I am now, and made it!!! Thank you for your tip on CV. I must say I never realized that I will have to become a bit of a business person one day. Well, way to gooo!

Thanks once more, Simon

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Don't give up Apr 20, 2006

Don't give up and be patient. I felt the same as you are today when I started not so long ago. I know it sounds a bit "cliché" but if you really want it, it will definitely work. Moreover here there's a great pool of translators to give you some advice. Keep in mind that if you appear as nervous or "lost" while you are searching for clients or agencies, it will not work. So, don't worry just be optimistic and it will work. I am sure that every translators/interpreters have gone through the same feeling when they started their career.

Bonne chance!

Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
Member (2005)
Russian to English
+ ...
All good advice... Apr 20, 2006

Don't give up!

I have been translating and interpreting for over 30 years, and I still actively cultivate in myself the attitude that I am a "newbie" and there is much learning and growth ahead of me.

You are the architect of your future, and if you truly love your work and think strategically you will be fine.

On the other hand, if you've been at it for, say, 10 years and you still feel lost and are without enough work, only then should you (perhaps) think about giving up

Best of luck!

Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Merci! Apr 20, 2006

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

Don't give up and be patient. I felt the same as you are today when I started not so long ago. I know it sounds a bit "cliché" but if you really want it, it will definitely work. Moreover here there's a great pool of translators to give you some advice. Keep in mind that if you appear as nervous or "lost" while you are searching for clients or agencies, it will not work. So, don't worry just be optimistic and it will work. I am sure that every translators/interpreters have gone through the same feeling when they started their career.

Bonne chance!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

With every reply I feel more and more like I can make it and that is not too late, difficult but to be done. I wish there was a way to show you hooow grateful I am and how much your support has changed my attitude towards everything

Thank you and all the best:)

Malgorzata Tichoruk
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
inspire Apr 20, 2006

Kevin Kelly wrote:

Don't give up!

I have been translating and interpreting for over 30 years, and I still actively cultivate in myself the attitude that I am a "newbie" and there is much learning and growth ahead of me.

You are the architect of your future, and if you truly love your work and think strategically you will be fine.

On the other hand, if you've been at it for, say, 10 years and you still feel lost and are without enough work, only then should you (perhaps) think about giving up

Best of luck!

Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much! I will keep your advice in mind. And if I am still in the same place in 9 years time, I will give up and buy a small bookshop in my hometown I do love words, texts and languages with the whole "machinery".

When I think about the everpresent "newbie" feeling, I'm wandering that maybe we should be gratefull for it, Isn't it just another shade of inspiration? We should be gratefull for the constant need to improve!

Kevin, thank you again for more inspiration

Keep inspiring (yourself

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I totally agree Apr 20, 2006

Simon Bruni wrote:

Hi Malgorzata,

Some advice:

Good luck!

Simon

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Kevin Apr 20, 2006

[quote]Kevin Kelly wrote:

Don't give up!

That's exactly how I feel. Plus, I have only been in the job for almost 5 years

That's definitely true!

Konstantinos Karanikas B.Sc. Electr. Eng., MITI
Greece
Local time: 04:13
English to Greek
+ ...
DON'T GIVE UP !!! Apr 20, 2006

Kevin could not be more right!

After 26 years in this business I can safely say that your life is about to change dramatically! )

Translations back then used to be handwritten and given to the typist for conversion. It was the era of the brontosaurus!

Now, I can't get enough of it, and the most important thing of all is the new friends you are going to make, who are actually willing to help you out when you need it! That's the tricky part, you see. Nowadays, you don't actually find people to offer professional help without expecting something in return.

Read what others have to say and adapt their comments to your reality.

We are here to offer our help when you need it!

Keep learning, and bettering yourself in what you do best.

Stay in focus, don't get discouraged easily. Head down, work hard, be patient, wait for the breakthrough, but when it comes you must be ready for it.

Don't be afraid to ask, and learn continuously.

"Hard work always pays dividends!"
And that's a universal axiom!

The older I get the more newbie I feel! And this is a wonderful feeling, believe you me! )

Globalization is a wonderful thing too, work is about to come pouring in from every corner of the planet, think about it and smile to yourself! )

Good luck and welcome!

[Edited at 2006-04-20 19:28]

[Edited at 2006-04-20 19:30]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:13
English to French
+ ...
From an ex newbie Apr 20, 2006

Hello Malgorzata,

It feels strange to read your post, as I see you like a different species from mine. As you are a beginner and I am an established translator, it feels like there is a world of difference between us. I tell you this to make you realize that we all have been through your situation - it's kind of like losing your virginity You don't know where you're going, but once it's all behind you, you understand and can deal with it and make it better.

Like I said, I see you like a different species, but I do remember that I used to belong to your family of species a few years back. So, if I got to where I am now, starting out from a point much like yours, you can get there too! So, my advice - if I should give any - is patience and perseverance, as others have told you before me. At first, it feels like an immense challenge, but in a year or so, you will read your post and laugh, maybe even all the way to the bank.

Good luck!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming... What do we do? We SWIM!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am a beginner and feel lost

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search