T/I education in hungary?
Thread poster: xxxpalacsinta

xxxpalacsinta
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Hi everyone,

I would love to live and work in Hungary and eventually become a translator hungarian-english/dutch.
What I would like to know is the following:
1. Is this a realistic career choice? Is it likely that I can find training and, eventually, a job in this field?
2. Where in Hungary would I find a good translator/interpretor training that is also suitable for foreigners?

My current situation is that I am 27 years old and I have no papers in the linguistic field whatsoever. However I am good with languages and I am highly motivated to
learn.

I've fallen in love with the Hungarian language, so I would love to find a job as an interpretor or translator eventually. In the meantime I am hoping to qualify as an english teacher if i obtain a CELTA certificate. Other than that I have no idea if it's possible to find a job if you're not fluent in Hungarian yet. I speak 3 languages though: Dutch, English and German. I'm learning Hungarian in my spare time at the moment.

If you have any advice, please let me know. I have recently made the decision to switch careers and I need all the information I can get if I want to make this work out...

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Learn the language first... Jul 1, 2006

...which would involve some time living in Hungary.
When you are there, you would have opportunity to inquire about suitable courses.

I don't live there anymore, so I can't give you informed advice about T/I education. In any case, by the time you are ready to translate or interpret, these might change.

Just to cheer you up, when people ask the usual question: Is Hungarian really very difficult? - I usually explain to them, that if you compare it with English and you draw the line of difficulty on a graph, Hungarian starts as a very steep climb, reaches a certain level, and then gradually eases up and flattens out, because once you mastered the grammar, it becomes easier and easier.

English is a comfortable ride at the beginning, and you can make yourself understood in a relatively short time, and you think, hooray, that's easy. Then when you understand a fair bit, it hits you, and you realise, ho much more there is to learn. That's when the steeper climb begins.
Good luck, and best wishes
Judith

[Edited at 2006-07-01 22:33]

vrnk
English to Hungarian
difficult Jul 29, 2006

Hy palacsinta!

I'm a hungarian girl. Sorry for writing that but I think (!) that it's not easy finding job in that way. Here is a lot lot language center and here is a lot lot teacher. Maybe dutch can be interesting but I didn't find any language center where they teach dutch (because it's not too sought.

Of course you can try it. Have luck.

veronika

palacsinta wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would love to live and work in Hungary and eventually become a translator hungarian-english/dutch.
What I would like to know is the following:
1. Is this a realistic career choice? Is it likely that I can find training and, eventually, a job in this field?
2. Where in Hungary would I find a good translator/interpretor training that is also suitable for foreigners?

[Edited at 2006-07-29 04:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T/I education in hungary?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search