Working as a translator in Norway?
Thread poster: xxxForest

French to German
Aug 3, 2006

I am studying translation and interpreting in Germany. As a lot of other people do, I think about emigrating to Norway. But can it work in quite a small country with less than five million inhabitants to translate just from Norwegian to German?

In other words, can it be sufficient to survive over there? I presume at least that it wouldn't make any sense to offer translation jobs from French to German (e.g.).

Direct link Reply with quote

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
English to French
+ ...
Hi Forest! Aug 4, 2006

If you intend to work as an in-house translator, then yes, not many people would hire you as a French-German translator in Norway but if you are self-employed, you could offer your services in this pair too because you can work for clients based anywhere in the world!

[Edited at 2006-08-04 08:45]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's a global market Aug 4, 2006

As an agency, and I think I can speak for many Nordic agencies, we do use a lot of NO>DE freelance translators, as indeed FR>DE.

So yes, by all means go ahead, but market yourself globally, there's no reason to restrict yourself only to work for, say, Norwegian agencies and end clients.

You should consider the extremly high living costs in Norway though. This reflects the high price native Norwegian freelance translators can charge.

It's not the physical location that's important, although it helps if you need to stay in touch with the Norwegian language.

If you can keep in touch with the language and live somewhere else, you'd probably be better off. Even Sweden is cheaper these days, Norwegian buy flats on our side of the border and commute to Olso to save up...

Welcome to Scandinavia!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a translator in Norway?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search