Working as a translator in Norway?
Thread poster: xxxForest
xxxForest
French to German
Aug 3, 2006

Hello,

I am studying translation and interpreting in Germany. As a lot of other people do, I think about emigrating to Norway. But can it work in quite a small country with less than five million inhabitants to translate just from Norwegian to German?

In other words, can it be sufficient to survive over there? I presume at least that it wouldn't make any sense to offer translation jobs from French to German (e.g.).

Direct link Reply with quote

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:29
English to French
+ ...
Hi Forest! Aug 4, 2006

If you intend to work as an in-house translator, then yes, not many people would hire you as a French-German translator in Norway but if you are self-employed, you could offer your services in this pair too because you can work for clients based anywhere in the world!

[Edited at 2006-08-04 08:45]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's a global market Aug 4, 2006

Hi!

As an agency, and I think I can speak for many Nordic agencies, we do use a lot of NO>DE freelance translators, as indeed FR>DE.

So yes, by all means go ahead, but market yourself globally, there's no reason to restrict yourself only to work for, say, Norwegian agencies and end clients.

You should consider the extremly high living costs in Norway though. This reflects the high price native Norwegian freelance translators can charge.

It's not the physical location that's important, although it helps if you need to stay in touch with the Norwegian language.

If you can keep in touch with the language and live somewhere else, you'd probably be better off. Even Sweden is cheaper these days, Norwegian buy flats on our side of the border and commute to Olso to save up...

Welcome to Scandinavia!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a translator in Norway?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search