Please help with CV
Thread poster: Ben Dooley

Ben Dooley
Local time: 01:52
Japanese to English
Aug 8, 2006

I've just reworked my CV after reading several articles on the subject and looking at other CVs on this site. If anyone has a minute, I would really appreciate some input. I would be more than happy to reciprocate.

It can be found here:
http://www.proz.com/profile_resources/582270_r44d95eb82a6d2.rtf

Thanks!

Best,
Ben

[Edited at 2006-08-09 04:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

Johannes Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
Member (2005)
Dutch to German
+ ...
hi Aug 9, 2006

Looks very professional. better than mine)
I would anyway include your date of birth.
I am not sure if a prrof translation should be part of your CV. But on the other hand- why not?

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's O.K. Aug 9, 2006

Hi Ben,

Welcome to ProZ. I think you C.V. is fine. I personally use pdf format, but I guess it's up to you. Many fellow translators here use doc or rtf format as well. If you want however convert it to pdf, you need a converter. There are quite few of them on the net.

Best regards
Natalia

P.S. I couldn't see Japanese text, but it's probably because my computer doesn't have necessary fonts.

[Edited at 2006-08-09 10:05]

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:52
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Looks good, Aug 9, 2006

although I agree with Johannes that sample translations do not belong to a CV. Maybe you could have them in a separate file?

I also agree with Natalia, a PDF would be even better. I believe there are free converters available, and OpenOffice (similar to MS Word) can save export files as PFDs.

I disagree with Johannes in that I don't really understand why a (potential) client would need to know a translator's birthday. I don't mention mine in my CV, but I don't refuse to answer if a client wants to know my age.

[Edited at 2006-08-09 14:04]

[Edited at 2006-08-09 14:05]

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Quite nice Aug 9, 2006

Your translations are really good. I could pick a couple of nits on the style, but you made some nice decisions on rephrasing. You weren't a slave to the original syntax. If I could have work like yours to edit instead of the stuff I usually get, the editing would be much easier, I'd enjoy reading the text, and my wallet ould be lighter.

To keep it to two pages and not orphan one line of your translation, why not eliminate some of the space between the pairs of lines of your references?

Don't put your age on your resume. It's not important to the client, and they can work it out anyway from the dates you already have in there. Your examples sell you quite well.

The only nit I will pick is - SimSun is really ugly. Use one of the MS P fonts.

Good luck.

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Agree about PDF formatting Aug 9, 2006

Hi Ben,

Looks very nice. As you gain more experience you might want to migrate toward some sort of a hybrid between a CV and a brochure. My teammate has a very slick one at http://www.proz.com/profile_resources/019200_r43d10afa5ea07.pdf

I have a Web site (currently being overhauled, new version should be live end of month) that serves as my "brochure" plus a basic CV that is virtually used only for agencies that need to include translator CVs in their responses to RFP/Qs. It is not something that I would use to target new customers.

PDF is better than .doc or .rtf I would say. I personally don't like opening up Word docs from unknown sources.

Feel free to contact me about a good PDF converter you can download (don't know if we are allowed to "advertise" here!).

Best of luck. I bet you'll do well given your language pair and Can's compliments about your work.

Kind regards,

Sara

[Edited at 2006-08-09 15:14]

Ben Dooley
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much! Aug 9, 2006

Everyone,

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate your time.

I'll definitely convert it to a PDF. Should my work capacity or my rates be on the resume?

If I can return the favor in any way, please let me know.

Best,
Ben

Refugio
Local time: 22:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few suggestions Aug 9, 2006

It looks very good but I would advise keeping the actual resume to one page. At the bottom you could have a heading "Available on Request", then under that put only: References, Work Samples, Web and Blog Design, Proofreading and Editing. For the United States, birth date should not be included (your date of graduation is plenty) and the actual references and work samples can be sent as separate documents if needed. I would also not include work capacity or rates in the resume itself (save those for the cover letter), since they will vary and should be negotiated according to the urgency and complexity of each job and whether the client is direct or indirect.

Good luck!

teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally agree with Ruth Aug 10, 2006

Ruth Henderson wrote:

It looks very good but I would advise keeping the actual resume to one page. At the bottom you could have a heading "Available on Request", then under that put only: References, Work Samples, Web and Blog Design, Proofreading and Editing. For the United States, birth date should not be included (your date of graduation is plenty) and the actual references and work samples can be sent as separate documents if needed. I would also not include work capacity or rates in the resume itself (save those for the cover letter), since they will vary and should be negotiated according to the urgency and complexity of each job and whether the client is direct or indirect.

Good luck!

My thoughts exactly, I've got nothing to add. I liked the way you did the bullet points, it's easy to read. Good luck to you!

teju

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with CV

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search