https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/56992-agency_wants_copy_of_my_id.html

Agency wants copy of my ID
Thread poster: giovie72
giovie72
giovie72  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:52
Italian to English
Oct 7, 2006

An agency contacted me, located in Scotland U.K., and aside from the registration form and CV, they also require a copy of my passport for ID verification. I never needed to provide this before. Is this a normal request? It worries to just hand over my passport copy?
I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks
Giovanna

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same??!!! Oct 7, 2006

Hi Giovanna

Please visit this link:
http://www.proz.com/topic/55998

Actually they called me, and i was worried to contact them or reply to their email, i think it is not a normal request from freelancers, i did not reply to their email.

Good Luck
Ehab

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Have they identified their client? Oct 7, 2006

Sometimes government agencies want to investigate their vendor's subcontractors. But if that's the case, they should have told you. (Besides, you may not want to do work for this government agency and should have the option to tell this translation agency that you don't.)

giovie72
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Oct 7, 2006

I am not sure, but it seems like the same requests. I guess I should ignore it. It seemed VERY fishy to me the whole passport thing. I guess you ignored it as well?!!)
Giovanna

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:52
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Another link Oct 7, 2006

Here's another link on this topic:
www.proz.com/topic/56948

As this issue suddenly pops up in various places, could it be a new breed of scam?

giovie72
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
It sounds like a scam Oct 7, 2006

I had sent the agency my information (references and experience) and told them I would my them all the other requests. I guess I will not be doing so! I really appreciate all your information, it helped me make up my mind!
Thanks

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Be honest Oct 8, 2006

Giovanna Villani wrote:

I had sent the agency my information (references and experience) and told them I would my them all the other requests. I guess I will not be doing so!

If you already told them you'd be providing other materials and have decided not to do so, you should send them a note or e-mail saying so. It need not be explicit. Something along the lines of "Although I indicated I would be sending a copy of my passport, I have, after further consideration, decided not to do so." will do. Otherwise, they may be expecting it.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Be careful! Oct 8, 2006

Giovana, please be careful. Some unscruperlous people might want your ID nr to use (A US SS# is very valuable item) for something illegal. I am not saying that this client is fraudulent, but it behooves to be careful.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 12:52
id request Oct 9, 2006

Giovanna Villani wrote:

An agency contacted me, located in Scotland U.K., and aside from the registration form and CV, they also require a copy of my passport for ID verification. I never needed to provide this before. Is this a normal request? It worries to just hand over my passport copy?
I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks
Giovanna

Hola Giovanna,

Well, if it worries you that much, (which it would me), I wouldnt even bother.

Too, I wouldnt do it.

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:52
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I just wonder what they will do with that ID Nov 19, 2006

...in that sense that they are looking for translators to do their jobs (not IDs). What makes them a difference if they have that ID or do not have that ID? If the ID is incorrect, so how they could settle payment (the IBAN shall match the name of the person). Well, I would not give the ID beforehand. Maybe after the first job (for accounting reasons - in some countries these are required by national laws). But most often it happens, that some freaky agencies ask to fill in 8 page registration f... See more
...in that sense that they are looking for translators to do their jobs (not IDs). What makes them a difference if they have that ID or do not have that ID? If the ID is incorrect, so how they could settle payment (the IBAN shall match the name of the person). Well, I would not give the ID beforehand. Maybe after the first job (for accounting reasons - in some countries these are required by national laws). But most often it happens, that some freaky agencies ask to fill in 8 page registration form with questions you really do not understand what is needed from you, then all these IDs, etc. (I was even asked to give my IBAN number in advance) and you never ever hear from them again.

And also, if the agency is based in the EU, you have the right to ask the question for what purposes your personal information will be needed, for what purposes it was requested, and what guarantee the requesting party can give that this ID info will not be abused or provided to third parties...EU legislation on personal data protection governs it really well...

[Edited at 2006-11-19 18:15]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wants copy of my ID

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »