Any course except the Dip Trans?
Thread poster: laetitia king
laetitia king
Local time: 23:09
English to French
Oct 24, 2006

Hi there,

I've left my job as a venue manager to take care of my daughter who is now 18 months old. I am a french mum who has been living in the UK for the past 9 years.

I've been looking at doing the DipTrans but I missed the registration which ended in July. There is no other exam until 2008 now but I would really like to get started before that.

I am aware that being being confident in both languages is not enough and that being a translator involves a lot of work but i've always been interested in languages and different cultures and I think that this is a job that would suit me.

I've been searching the internet but I cannot find any other course at distance or diploma that could help me.

I offered to do some pro bono translation work for "translator sans frontiere" to gain experience but they only work with experienced translators.

I am now at a dead-end and would really appreciate your advices and comment on what I could be doing to gain some qualification and experience.

Thank you for your replies.

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Lorca  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:09
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Postgraduate Certificate in Translation Studies Oct 25, 2006

Hi, Laetitia
You can do a Postgraduate Certificate in Translation Studies (or Skills). I did a distance certificate of Warwick University and there's at least two others in the UK. I think they can help you get started in translation if you have no previous experience.

www.city.ac.uk/languages/PGCTS.html

www.llc.manchester.ac.uk/.../CentreforTranslationandInterculturalStudies/OnlinePostgraduateProgramme/

Good luck!

Andrea Lorca

laetitia king
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 25, 2006

HI,

Thank you for your reply.

Funnily enough I contacted the City University today so I am now waiting for more informations.

I also found another one but can't remember the name.

Thank you for your advice

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:09
French to English
MA in Translation distance learning at UWE in Bristol Nov 20, 2006

laetitia king wrote:

Hi there,

I've left my job as a venue manager to take care of my daughter who is now 18 months old. I am a french mum who has been living in the UK for the past 9 years.

I've been looking at doing the DipTrans but I missed the registration which ended in July. There is no other exam until 2008 now but I would really like to get started before that.

I am aware that being being confident in both languages is not enough and that being a translator involves a lot of work but i've always been interested in languages and different cultures and I think that this is a job that would suit me.

I've been searching the internet but I cannot find any other course at distance or diploma that could help me.

I offered to do some pro bono translation work for "translator sans frontiere" to gain experience but they only work with experienced translators.

I am now at a dead-end and would really appreciate your advices and comment on what I could be doing to gain some qualification and experience.

Thank you for your replies.

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
MA in Translation distance learning at UWE in Bristol Nov 20, 2006

Bonjour Laeticia

you have my sympathy, frankly; I would avoid the DipTrans like the plague - it is very expensive, you have a 3 hour exam to showcase at least 1 years' work and finally you don't get any feedback on your exam papers. I took the exam in Jan 05 and failed all 3 but this is not a case of sour grapes as you may find that when you contact other new translators they say the same thing. I've recently started up as a freelance translator in France and I'm getting work. I'm British; working in France - I do not have a post-graduate translation diploma, I have a BA in French, and a certificate from London's City University for the 30 credits I gained for the 1 year preparation course I took online for the DipTrans exam.

Although I have not taken the course myself, I suggest you contact UWE, University of West of England, in Bristol, they run a distance learning MA in Translation, best of all there are no exams as it is all based on coursework. I told a colleague about it and she rates the course very highly. I did not take it because I decided just to launch myself as a translator without spending more time and money studying, although the course really looks excellent and I've heard that students receive very good feedback from the tutors. You can also tailor the course to your needs - you can do it in 1 year working 38 hours a week as if you worked full time or you can spread it over 2-3 years as you have a young child etc. And of course as it is online you do not have to worry about travelling, you can do it all from home.
I think when you get involved in the DIPTrans you think there is no other way to get a translation qualification but this is not the case!!
I think the web link is www.uwe.ac.uk/translation or go to www.uwe.ac.uk and search for MA in Translation in the post-graduate section.

Bon courage!!!

Jenny

xxxAnnerose MB  Identity Verified

English to French
some suggestions Nov 28, 2006

There is also the Boniface online translation studies. It just takes time (about 3 years). But would be a good basis for your future as a translator.

http://www.ustboniface.mb.ca/cusb/ctra/index.html

And here is another one:
http://www.ulip.lon.ac.uk/courses/index.html
University of London Institute in Paris

hth,

Annerose

[Edited at 2006-11-28 13:59]

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Czech to English
+ ...
UWE course student Mar 13, 2007

Hello
I followed three of the modules at UWE, and found the staff very supportive, and the modules interesting and challenging
So I recommend it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any course except the Dip Trans?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search