CV Advice -recent graduate
Thread poster: LottaJ

LottaJ
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
English to Finnish
Nov 5, 2006

Hi

I am a Finnish graduate with MA in English and I am trying to establish myself as freelancer. I woud appreciate any advice on my cv, as I am not sure if it shows my skills in the right way. Also, would this CV be ok to send to translation companies or should I modify it somehow?

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:03
English to French
+ ...
Researching CVs Nov 6, 2006

Welcome to ProZ, Lotta

I'd say to get you started on CV advice, you would have to search the article knowledge base, not only on CV advice in particular, but also more general articles on marketing your services. This is the place to start: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Business-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/Getting-Established/

Also, I recommend you browse ProZ profiles to take a look at the CVs posted in them. Most profiles include a link to a downloadable CV. You can also just browse profiles because the info inside them is already very useful for deciding what to put in your CV and what not to put in it. A hint: do a directory search and fill in the search form as if you were looking for yourself in the directory - enter your language pair(s), your country of residence, your (prospective) specialization, etc. Compare those profiles/CVs with yours, you will have many ideas. Jot them all down - brainstorm!

A forum search on the subject may also produce great results.

If your working language pair is EN>FN, you should concentrate on that. A client who wants you to translate into Finnish is not at all interested in the fact that you speak Italian, and with the number of languages you added to your CV, clients may think you are trying to do everything at once, which can mean to them that you are surely not an expert in your main language pair as you concentrate too much on other languages.

You should also indicate a couple of subject areas you would like to work in, and call them specializations. You will want to attract clients who have documents to translate in those areas, because to them, you will be more credible since you know the subject area well.

Also, I would remove all the regular work experiences that are irrelevant to your translation career. Keep the market research bits and scrap the rest In other words, specialize in market research for now and maybe after you get more experience, you will broaden that a little to increase opportunities - but don't exaggerate this part either. You can't specialize in everything - and clients will not like you either if you seem knowledgeable in too many fields.

Studies and translation experience are laid out clearly and those parts need not be touched at all.

Hobbies and interests are irrelevant unless they are somehow connected with your translation career. A+ on subject thesis - this is great info to add!

All in all, your CV needs a little bit of refining, but otherwise, you look like a serious young translator ready to take on the translation market

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-11-06 02:28]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Have three CVs Nov 6, 2006

Lotta Jansson wrote:
Also, would this CV be ok to send to translation companies or should I modify it somehow?

I suggest you have three CVs: One optimised for getting a job in your country (which shows all sorts of local information generally required by head hunters in your country), one optimised for overseas clients who ask for a CV (which shows both your skills and your education), and one in the abbreviated résumé format favoured in the US (which showcases mostly your skills).

Wada.Cannell
Local time: 15:03
Japanese to English
+ ...
multiple cv/resumes Nov 18, 2006

I agree that multiple cv/resumes are the key. They broaden your appeal and impress potential clients with your fluency and your marketing sensitivity.

My two cents.

LottaJ
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER

Many thanks on the advice, I am now more confident in approaching the companies.

Lotta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV Advice -recent graduate

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search