Advice, please: translation course worthwhile? Hoping to continue developing skills & get more work.
Thread poster: Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
Local time: 08:29
English to French
Nov 4, 2002

Hi everyone,

I has been a while now, since I have been on the proz site.

I have lived & worked in the UK for 5 years, I came back to FRance 7 months ago and I find it hard to find a good job, where I can use the english language.

I really wanna be a translator or interpreter, I did work in the UK for a translation agency, I also got references letter, but no diploma in translation or interpretation (
<
... See more
Hi everyone,

I has been a while now, since I have been on the proz site.

I have lived & worked in the UK for 5 years, I came back to FRance 7 months ago and I find it hard to find a good job, where I can use the english language.

I really wanna be a translator or interpreter, I did work in the UK for a translation agency, I also got references letter, but no diploma in translation or interpretation (

What should I do, is there anyone, who could advice me.. I did find a \"course\", where I could do a diploma in translation, but do you think that this would help??

Or do you think that I should just apply in different internationals companies, so in that way I can carry on to practice the english..

THanks for the time, you will take to read my message.

Have a nice day!

Virginie

Collapse

nina rumich
nina rumich
English to French
+ ...
ENGLISH Nov 4, 2002

my only positive advice is LEARN ENGLISH !!

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 14:29
English
+ ...
Well, you could maybe kinda Nov 4, 2002

...start establishing a hands-on reputation by doing free translations for non-profit organizations that work towards a cause you believe in. They may never buy you more than the odd cup of coffee, but they will probably guilt and obey the unwritten rule of introducing you to other people who PAY.

If you are not getting job leads within six months: VOLUNTEER ELSEWHERE. If they still want to keep you after six months: START CHARGING AGENCY RATES.

Otherwise, (1) yo
... See more
...start establishing a hands-on reputation by doing free translations for non-profit organizations that work towards a cause you believe in. They may never buy you more than the odd cup of coffee, but they will probably guilt and obey the unwritten rule of introducing you to other people who PAY.

If you are not getting job leads within six months: VOLUNTEER ELSEWHERE. If they still want to keep you after six months: START CHARGING AGENCY RATES.

Otherwise, (1) you will start going hungry and homeless until (2) you find yourself translating reservation requests for four-star hotel bookings in Polynesia for the president and his cronies and will (3) expose yourself unduly to the risks of wasted tears and heart-calcifying bitterness.

Beware, be brave and bewitch them with your savvy!

Collapse

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
German to English
+ ...
Perfect your language skills Nov 4, 2002

Virginie,

not to be unkind or overly critical, but the message you wrote contains quite a few errors in spelling and grammar. To find work as a translator and build a base of satisfied clients, you need to first strive to perfect your language skills. To do this, it may be sufficient to enroll in an English writing course, for Business English, for instance, first, before you spend the money on translation training. Many of us have studied languages for years to be where we
... See more
Virginie,

not to be unkind or overly critical, but the message you wrote contains quite a few errors in spelling and grammar. To find work as a translator and build a base of satisfied clients, you need to first strive to perfect your language skills. To do this, it may be sufficient to enroll in an English writing course, for Business English, for instance, first, before you spend the money on translation training. Many of us have studied languages for years to be where we are, and the studying is never done, either.
Collapse

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
mother tongue Nov 4, 2002

Hello

I would try to get a diploma from this school and translate only into you native tongue [mother tongue]

Ecole Supérieure d\'Interprètes et de Traducteurs, (ESIT), Paris

Centre Universitaire Dauphine

Place de Lattre de Tassigny, F-75116 Paris

Téléphone: ++33 (1) 44 05 42 05, Fax: ++33 (1) 44 05 41 43

Best regards

Kurt

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
T&I-training or specilist training Nov 5, 2002

You are 25, right? Is T&I really what you want to do in the coming 35 years? Or is it a start and you want to evolve to something else.

Do you really want to sit behind the screen of a computer for the next 35 years and translate text or do you want to become an interpreter?

If T&I is what you want I would say: get a T&I-training followed by a specialized postgraduate. A T&I training is a generalist education. You will get a better grammatical base than the one you have now.
... See more
You are 25, right? Is T&I really what you want to do in the coming 35 years? Or is it a start and you want to evolve to something else.

Do you really want to sit behind the screen of a computer for the next 35 years and translate text or do you want to become an interpreter?

If T&I is what you want I would say: get a T&I-training followed by a specialized postgraduate. A T&I training is a generalist education. You will get a better grammatical base than the one you have now. You will learn about registers of language and the social and cultural background of the language. Every translation will be discussed in detail and every word weighed.

Interpreting is a separate discipline and requires a different and separate kind of training.

Nowadays, specialization is a must.

If you want to get into the normal job market at a decent level and grow a (postgraduate) economic/managerial degree (on most job-announcements you will find the phrase \'MBA\'-preferred) is a must and will certainly be a plus-value in determining your rates.

It is up to you to choose: either you go for a T&I, followed by a specialized training or you go for a specialized education and enhance your grammatical skills and register of the language at the same time.

Collapse

hi virginie Dec 25, 2010

Just read your message and you should have started with, It has been a while? And you put a couple of capitals when you should not have, just remember practice makes perfect i know you have the ability so use it hope every thing is good with you and your family merry christmas and a happy new year if you ever need to pratice just ring me on skype my user name is denim2004 just to help you nothing else all the best nick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice, please: translation course worthwhile? Hoping to continue developing skills & get more work.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »