https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/61316-do_you_feel_qualification_certificate_is_necessary_for_a_translator.html

Do You Feel Qualification certificate is necessary for a Translator
Thread poster: vedaramesh
vedaramesh
vedaramesh
Local time: 07:26
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 10, 2006

I am Learning Japanese for the last six years. This December I have appeared for JLPT Level 2 exam. I am confident of doing translation in Japanese to English and vice versa well. But I am not sure whether the outsourcers are interested in the quality of the translation work or they need the certification for doing the translation. Can anyone tell me which is important .

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi vedaramesh Dec 11, 2006

FYI, I have moved your posting to the Getting Established forum.

Natalia

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:56
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Both are important Dec 11, 2006

Hi Vedaramesh,

Some freelancers have high quality works, but they are not certified by any institution. However, they do receive translation jobs from both translation agencies and direct clients. They pass a translation test administered by the agency.

Before I get certified, I got translation job offers. After the certification, I get jobs too. Some agencies require it, but some don't. Nevertheless, you had better try to get certified. It will be a value-added feature
... See more
Hi Vedaramesh,

Some freelancers have high quality works, but they are not certified by any institution. However, they do receive translation jobs from both translation agencies and direct clients. They pass a translation test administered by the agency.

Before I get certified, I got translation job offers. After the certification, I get jobs too. Some agencies require it, but some don't. Nevertheless, you had better try to get certified. It will be a value-added feature for you.

Good luck.
Collapse

Gert Hirschfeld
Gert Hirschfeld  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
English to German
+ ...
Work on your blind spots Dec 11, 2006

Not just a value-added feature but you will have to prove on the course and eventually in the exam that you know how to deal with problems in translations.

That is an invaluable learning experience. You just will not be able to "sweep things under the carpet" but have to find an educated way of resolving the problem areas in a document.

Well, you might have learnt that already but if someone hasn't, they should enroll and make the most of what they are taught.
... See more
Not just a value-added feature but you will have to prove on the course and eventually in the exam that you know how to deal with problems in translations.

That is an invaluable learning experience. You just will not be able to "sweep things under the carpet" but have to find an educated way of resolving the problem areas in a document.

Well, you might have learnt that already but if someone hasn't, they should enroll and make the most of what they are taught.

Certificate or not - I am shocked to read some posts here in pretty bad English, written by translators who apparently translate INTO English. A professional translator would be more aware of her/his shortcomings and act accordingly. ;-=)

[Edited at 2006-12-11 19:02]
Collapse

monbuckland
monbuckland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
It depends ... Dec 12, 2006

Hi Vedaramesh,

I'm speaking as a translator who has a fair amount of work from the Swiss government among others, and whose clients always seem to come back

Not only do I not have a paper qualification in translating, I didn't even study languages at university. I grew up bilingual and have spent many years working in Switzerland, using German, English and French every day.
However, I have always b
... See more
Hi Vedaramesh,

I'm speaking as a translator who has a fair amount of work from the Swiss government among others, and whose clients always seem to come back

Not only do I not have a paper qualification in translating, I didn't even study languages at university. I grew up bilingual and have spent many years working in Switzerland, using German, English and French every day.
However, I have always been willing to take tests to show whether I can do the job. And of course, over the years, I have amassed a certain amount of experience and can direct potential clients to published works that I have translated.

I think the answer is: "it depends". What counts in the end is doing a good job.
Collapse

vedaramesh
vedaramesh
Local time: 07:26
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you feel qualification certificate is ... Dec 13, 2006

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Hi Vedaramesh,

Before I get certified, I got translation job offers. After the certification, I get jobs too. Some agencies require it, but some don't. Nevertheless, you had better try to get certified. It will be a value-added feature for you.

Good luck.

Hi Hipyan Nopri ,

Thank you for your input. I have just completed my exams in Japanese level 2. I thought of takingup translation work. This is because I thought by doing the traslation it will improve my understanding the language and the practical experiance may help me to do well in the exams as well.

[Edited at 2006-12-13 14:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do You Feel Qualification certificate is necessary for a Translator

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »