Guidance for a new member quoting on jobs?
Thread poster: yugs
yugs
Local time: 04:38
Japanese to English
Dec 18, 2006

Hi, I am a new member of proz from dec'6 and have also quoted for a few jobs. But I have not recieved any responses favourable and vice versa. I was wondering whether I my profile is right or not. Could you help me?
I would also like to know whether I should follow up the quotation or not. (after a few days of no response).

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-18 13:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
English to German
+ ...
Typos! Dec 18, 2006

Hi yugs,

it is, uhm, crucial that you proofread your profile page.
Especially "acuracy is our motto"...

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:08
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sample translation and native languages Dec 18, 2006

Dear yugs,

I would advise you to polish your sample translations too.
In the sample translation that you have posted, from Japanese to English, the English version contains very few articles (Japanese style), and there are several other grammatical issues that may have put off some outsourcers, if they happened to look into it.

I also notice that you declare 3 native languages. Surely one of them is your native language, and you may have acquired another language at native level, having perhaps lived or studied at a very young age in different countries, but three native languages are perhaps a sign that you have a different concept of native language than mine.

A native language is not a language spoken at native, or near native level. It is the language (normally only one) acquired at a young age, absorbing it from family members and the environment.
All other languages, by definition, are acquired and not native.

This sort of improbable claims may contribute to not being taken into consideration when offering your services.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-12-18 13:08]

yugs
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Some more help Dec 18, 2006

Hi Gianfranco,
First of all let me thank you.
I will surely review my samples. But I did not understand the point Japanese style. Can you explain it to me?
I also tried to remove Japanese from my native language but could not do so. Can you help me over there?

Moreover since I live in India my mother tongue is Marathi and I have been in an English medium school so I know english at native level.

yugs
gianfranco wrote:

Dear yugs,

I would advise you to polish your sample translations too.
In the sample translation that you have posted, from Japanese to English, the English version contains very few articles (Japanese style), and there are several other grammatical issues that may have put off some outsourcers, if they happened to look into it.

I also notice that you declare 3 native languages. Surely one of them is your native language, and you may have acquired another language at native level, having perhaps lived or studied at a very young age in different countries, but three native languages are perhaps a sign that you have a different concept of native language than mine.

A native language is not a language spoken at native, or near native level. It is the language (normally only one) acquired at a young age, absorbing it from family members and the environment.
All other languages are, by definition, acquired and not native.

This sort of improbable claims may contribute to not being taken into consideration when offering your services.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-12-18 10:23]

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 10:08
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sell yourself Dec 18, 2006

Hi Yugs,

I agree with the points raised by Nicole and Gianfranco. For any translator that offers the service of translating into English then any English you use in your profile/website/CV or whatever, has to be impeccable otherwise any potential client will just think, "Well, if they can't get that right....."

It's interesting that you only offer translation into English, which isn't your native language. Why is that? I think you are selling yourself short by not offering translation into Marathi from Japanese or English, which I'm sure not many people can do and would give you an edge. You could also offer translation into the other Indian languages you speak, as listed on your CV.

Work will come your way I'm sure but in the meantime I would use the time you have now to polish your CV and your profile on Proz and any of the other major translation websites. Set up your own website to give yourself extra exposure. Take part in Kudoz and the forums, maybe write an article or two so people can see your style of writing and how fluent and fluid you can write and express yourself in English.

At the end of the day it's all about marketing yourself and selling your services and now is the best time for you to get those wheels in motion.

Best of luck to you,
Mark

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:08
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Post a Support request Dec 18, 2006

yugs wrote:
I will surely review my samples. But I did not understand the point Japanese style. Can you explain it to me?

From what I remember of my brief studies (just for pleasure) of the Japanese language, there are no articles in it, and your translation shows a similar pattern.
I could be wrong, as it could be due to the influence of some other of your languages, but for some reason your sample reminded me of the writing style that can be seen around, on the Internet, when some Japanese speakers try to express themselves in English.

Usually they tend to make mistakes in article usage, most of times avoiding to write the articles, which is understandable, as they have to learn the entire concept of article from scratch

yugs wrote:
I also tried to remove Japanese from my native language but could not do so. Can you help me over there?

The native languages are not editable, as normally there is no need to change that information. In case of mistakes, only the site staff can remove them, so that you can enter the correct one.

You need to post a Support request and ask to have all of them erased, and then enter the correct data.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-12-18 14:30]

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
German to English
Use a different name Dec 18, 2006

Hi Yugs,

I suggest that you either use your real name or if you prefer not to, choose a name that is more appealing than "yugs."

As an Indian who translates into English, I think it's perfectly OK if you do so too, but as Nicole has already suggested, I think you should proofread your profile. I found two spelling mistakes, which really shouldn't be there and would definitely put many clients off.

All the best,
Niraja

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Suggestions Dec 18, 2006

Hello Yugs,
Two easy suggestions:
I would change your user name either to your real name or a more professional sounding alias.
I would also definitely correct the spelling of the word "professional" in your tagline!
I also echo the other recommendations made up to now, such as declaring your one true native language (or even two) and if possible, translating almost exclusively into that language. In this business, numerous language pairs are not synonymous with a professionalism. Usually the opposite is true.

Good luck to you-
Jennifer

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
More spelling issues Dec 18, 2006

I'm not an English native either, but I spotted additional mistakes on your profile page. Names of countries and languages are written with capitel letters (Japanese, English). Long-standing relationship (hyphen) and the leading space at one comma (space should come after the comma).

Cheers
Heinrich

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
Is this so?? Dec 18, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Names of countries and languages are written with capitel letters (Japanese, English). Long-standing relationship (hyphen) and the leading space at one comma (space should come after the comma).

Cheers
Heinrich

I had always been under the impression that languages should go with capital letter (English, Spanish, etc), just like nouns go with capital letters in German :-S

As for long-standing, is the hyphen no longer accepted?

Thanks
Andrea

[Edited at 2006-12-18 15:10]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Thats what I said, Andrea Dec 18, 2006

If you look at yugs' profile you know what I mean.
Regards
Heinrich

Chile
English to Spanish
Misunderstanding Dec 18, 2006

Hi Heinrich,

Since you said "(...) I spotted additional mistakes on your profile page. Names of countries and languages are written with capitel letters " I thought you were saying that the mistake was using capital letters and Yugs had them wrong, because they should be in small letters. In fact, I almost replied that he (or she?) had already fixed it!!!

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you
Andrea

[Edited at 2006-12-18 16:55]

Chile
English to Spanish
Follow-ups Dec 18, 2006

Hello Yugs,

First of all, I agree with all that has been said here regarding the spelling. Bear in mind that when you quote for a job, the outsorcer has a direct link to your profile, so the latter becomes a sort of cover letter, as well as a first (and usually long-lasting) impression.

Because of the abovementioned, I would suggest polishing your profile and perhaps learn some html basics to make it more attractive. Also, the job board is not the only way to find outsourcers/direct clients: if you choose the right keywords anyone surfing the Internet might be directed to your profile so it needs to be top-notch. One of the things I like best about Proz is the high exposure it gives us.

In regards to doing a follow-up to quotes, I have never done it because it is my understanding that outsourcers get many quotes and is therefore unlikely that they will reply to each and every one of them. Perhaps your language pairs are different. Still, only one (out of many) outsorcer has written me a short message telling me that they chose someone else for the job.

I hope all of this helps you a little bit!!
Andrea

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:08
French to Spanish
+ ...
yugs: reliable and proffesional translations Dec 18, 2006

Sorry to say so, yugs, but if you write "proffesional" instead of "professional" as it is today in your profile, it's going to be difficult.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps you haven't met the right type of client yet Dec 19, 2006

yugs wrote:
But I have not recieved any responses favourable and vice versa.

Taking a look at your profile, I think you are targeting a very specific niche type of client Why spell "proffesional" like everyone else (what happened to elegant variation, after all)? Who else offers "hands on eperience", which is undoubtedly a very special type of service? And quite right... who needs capital letters, eg "from japanese to english"? And what's more, why waste time being careful with punctuation, eg "webpages ,JIS standards." if the meaning isn't lost on the reader, right?

Take heart, my friend, your type of client will come.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guidance for a new member quoting on jobs?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search